Radiator hose clamps are not the same size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
File this under "I'm a dumbass"

I finished a timing belt/water pump/fan bracket/radiator job yesterday.

Everything went fine. Fired right up. Purred like a kitten. Took it for a test drive. Perfect.

This morning, I topped off the radiator and expansion tank and then went to warm up and burp the radiator.

Suddenly I'm hearing a lot of water noises. There's coolant pouring from the bottom of the car.

Upon closer inspection, it's coming from the top of the lower radiator hose where it connects to the water inlet.

Well as it turns out, the clamp for the bottom of the hose is NOT THE SAME SIZE as the clamp for the top of the hose.

For posterity's sake, and to assist others..... the top clamp is slightly smaller than bottom clamp.

Now you know. Or at least now I know.

Good head’s up, planning to tackle this job myself soon. What parts/kit did you use?

Great to see that Gator logo! Go Gators!! 🐊🐊🐊

@jammingator Go Gators!

I used Aisin and Toyota stuff.

Got the TKT-021 kit as well as the FBT-002 fan bracket from Cruiser Outfitters. They throw in cam seals, but I didn't use them.

Thermostat, thermostat housing, water inlet, serpentine belt all Toyota.

Radiator is Koyorad A2282 from Amazon. Had to return first one with damage.

Hoses are Gates since my local Toyota dealer has an insane mark up above MSRP.

Overall the job was easy. There are just a lot of steps. The @OTRAMM vids were very helpful. Worth watching their original vids as well as the new ones with the engine out of the vehicle.

Sweet, I appreciate the insight! Just started doing my research again. 148k on a 2001 and hasn’t yet been changed. Just took to dealer for alignment after I changed out ball joints and tie rod ends - they brought it up as a need and quoted $1450!

Keep in mind the lower rad hose has different size ends, so clamps are different too..

The upper rad hose, has long and short end after the bend. If put on wrong, hose rides against engine cover.

Make very sure your wires are routed properly on DS upper time belt cover and the lower wires for oil sending unit and crank sensor.

So I am in the same dilemma. I bought the clamps from Wits End. They recommended two medium and two large, but don't say which goes where.
You say the top clamp is slightly smaller than the bottom clamp on the lower radiator hose. @2001LC also says the same thing...that the lower radiator hose has two different size ends.

Maybe I am misunderstanding things, but I thought the LOWER RADIATOR HOSE was the long one that goes to the bottom of the radiator from the thermostat assembly, and the UPPER RADIATOR HOSE was the short one that comes off the radiator at the top?

To further confuse things, according to the parts diagram, they show 16572A is to be used at both ends of the long hose, and 16571A is to be used at both ends of the short hose.

Screenshot 2020-09-16 183712.png

Lower rad hose lower clip is 90467-43002. Just replaced yesterday.

Lower rad hose lower clip is 90467-43002. Just replaced yesterday.

I was looking at a Toyota parts page earlier, but I managed to find a Lexus diagram and these are the parts referenced. The thing is, I ordered two of the larger clamps and two of the smaller clamps. It looks like from the part numbers on this diagram that I need to use the same smaller clamp on all the hose ends except the lower one on the long hose, as that one uses the larger clamp. Can someone confirm this? Hopefully this can help people looking this stuff up. I am just weird and anal about stuff and want to use the new OEM clamps because they are designed for the vehicle.

9046743002 LONG HOSE LOWER, LARGE CLAMP (16572E)
9046641008 LONG HOSE UPPER, SMALL CLAMP (16571F)

9046641008 SHORT HOSE RADIATOR SIDE, SMALL CLAMP (1657D)
9046641008 SHORT HOSE INLET SIDE, SMALL CLAMP (16571F)

Screenshot 2020-09-16 201837.png

Screenshot 2020-09-16 202439.png

Ok, so I replaced all four clamps using the following parts on my 99 LX
9046641008 x3 (upper radiator hose, both ends, plus lower radiator hose, top end)
9046743002 x1 (lower radiator hose, bottom end

Bought two of each per recommendation on Wits End for $25 I think. Since I needed three of the smaller clamps I went to the dealer to pick one more up and it was $10 by itself!! I wish I wasn't in a hurry!

What threw me off was that if you look at any stock picture of an LX engine bay that hasn't had any cooling work done, all the (small) upper hose clamps are silver. When you buy the small clamp now it's black. The bigger clamp that attaches to the lower radiator hose bottom is now silver.

Bottom line, they worked and no leaks. I feel better with the spring tensioned clamps vs the screw-on type that were on there before even though both are probably fine.

These are the correct number of clamps, as mentioned. Just ordered myself from partsouq.com

9046641008 x3 (upper radiator hose, both ends, plus lower radiator hose, top end)
9046743002 x1 (lower radiator hose, bottom end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom