Radiator gunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zcruiser

Needs monitoring
Threads
Radiator gunk - location for flush T?

Poking around looking at fluids in my "new to me" Cruiser. Opened the radiator cap to find this:

zcruiser_radgunk.JPG

Does this look like normal gunk build-up, or stop-leak stuff? My engine's not overheating (even on 90* days w. AC on), and the thermostat was replaced in the past 2 years, so it's not indicating a major blockage.

Plan to flush system and replenish with Prestone 5/150 "Extended Life" coolant, probably also drop in some Water Wetter while I'm at it, but wondering if there's something I need to do to get rid of this nasty-looking deposit.

Last edited:
I'd flush it good, i've had a few cars that have looked that bad, and no problems after flushing them...

I would prepare to spend copious amounts of money on cooling system components. "Gunk" does not just appear. The likely cause is lack of coolant changes and in your case it turned acidic and ate away at the system! That is some nasty crap. I would flush that with extremely hot water at as high pressure as you can. I bet you will find after it is cleaned out it will start to leak all over. IF you change to long life coolant please change it every two years to prevent what you are looking at.

PS how much oil is this engine devouring and where is it going? You may have a head gasket problem.

Last edited:
I'd say silver's take on it is pretty pessimistic-- do flush your system with a rad flush product and you'll get a ton of crap out. You may also get a leak. If you do, get it repaired. Keep an eye on stuff and see where it goes, but I don't think you need to be terrified of spending tons of money on cooling components... and there is certainly nothing to indicate that your head gasket is gone unless you are using a lot of oil or water or overheating.

Not using oil or overheating. Where would the leaks come from, the rad core itself? Or somewhere in the block and into the oil? Oil needs changing, but is not foamy/thick. I'll try the rad flush, refill w. Prestone, and cross my fingers. I really wouldn't mind finding an aftermarket (more efficient) rad and putting it in w. electric fan, wouldn't be a bad mod to do.

BTW, silver - My older bro lives on Whidbey Island, has for some time now, really likes it out there.

I agree with Sand Cruiser. Even if you have to replace the radiator, water pump, thermostat, fan clutch and all the hoses you're less than $600 in parts and an afternoon of work. That's worst case. An overheated motor on the other hand is $3500. I wouldn't sweat it. Flush it very well, but realize your radiator is full of that junk, and a replacement or rodding out may not be a bad plan.

Edit-skip the electric fan plan. The engine driven fan moves way more air than an electric ever will.

zcruiser said:
Not using oil or overheating. Where would the leaks come from, the rad core itself? Or somewhere in the block and into the oil? Oil needs changing, but is not foamy/thick. I'll try the rad flush, refill w. Prestone, and cross my fingers. I really wouldn't mind finding an aftermarket (more efficient) rad and putting it in w. electric fan, wouldn't be a bad mod to do.

BTW, silver - My older bro lives on Whidbey Island, has for some time now, really likes it out there.

Alot of times when you take out all the crap in a cooling system it will open it up to leakage. That gunk sits on the metal rotting the underlayers of metal. Then when you flush it out the damaged metal is exposed and is much thinner than its surrounding and pops a leak. That is all I am saying. You are lucky that it doesn't overheat because it looks like your rad should be plugged. I hope it all turns out well just giving you a heads up.

Is your brother in the military? Thats a huge airforce base isn't it?

It could be excess sealant the PO used to "fix" all the above-mentioned, frightening possibilities.

Stock radiator is more than adequate unless you go SBC with an auto. I have a good used one from my '83 (long story).

silvercrusher said:
I hope it all turns out well just giving you a heads up.

Is your brother in the military? Thats a huge airforce base isn't it?

Thanks for the warnings, I wish I had a temp gauge rather than a C--H dial, so that I could see what the coolant temp really is. May be a good mod... Water temp, tranny temp.

My brother was in the Navy for 20+ years, moved all over the country but kept his house on Whidbey the whole time because he knew he would end up there after he retired. Of course, "retirement" is at age 50 for him, so now it's the "real world" of a working man with 7 kids and one grandchild. I think he was on a ship briefly once, as most of what he's done is maintaining aircraft for the Navy, though he's not a flyer himself.

Planning to put my Prestone radiator flush "T" connection between the bends on the hose shown below (between the green lines). Is this the correct location?

rad_flush.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom