radiator for sale anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a radiator for my 73 fj55 piggy? the little lady blew the hose coming off next to the cap and took the metal tube with it, think this could be welded? or is it aluminum? or should I replace it?

radiator

i have a good radiator from a 71 FJ55, dont know what it worth though, was going to send it out with the F engine i pulled to bristol bay alaska for a FJ40 spare. and i'm in anchorage AK so...

Location?

Have one out of an early 70's here in Helena MT

a guy in Charlottesville, VA has a MAF radiator for sale - PM if you want his phone number....

bk

Just thought I would throw this out. I took a new FJ60 radiator, took the mounting straps from my 79 55 and soldered them onto the new 60 radiator at the same outside location as the 55 radiator. Since the 60 radiator is 2.5 inches wide and the 55 is 2" wide sat closer to the fan, but I had plenty of clearance to make things work. The only issue I had was mounting the fan shroud, but I was able to get some spacers and longer bolts to make the fan shroud work. It is definitly nice to have a 4 row radiator for better cooling.

Scott

Last edited:
what you describe is repairable, be about $40 or so,,, if your radiator was working fine before go ahead with the repair.

Portal_tek said:
Just thought I would throw this out. I took a new FJ60 radiator, took the mounting straps from my 79 55 and soldered them onto the new 60 radiator at the same outside location as the 55 radiator. Since the 60 radiator is 2.5 inches wide and the 55 is 2" wide it will sit closer to the fan, but I had plenty of clearance to make this work. The only thing I had to do was get some spacer to make the fan shroud bolt up. One other nice thing is that it is a 4 row radiator for better cooling.

Scott

Scott,

This sounds cool - any pictures of this?

Bring it to a radiator shop, they'll fix that in 3 minutes for ya'.

Otherwise, go to the hardware store and buy a propane torch, and some solder and flux for indoor plumbing. Clean up those broken parts well with sandpaper or a wire brush, and then apply flux liberally. Heat up that specific area and touch the solder around the joint. Capillary action will suck it in and repair it.

Sweat welding is super easy, but it is easier with the radiator out of the truck.

Last edited:
Just thought I would throw this out. I took a new FJ60 radiator, took the mounting straps from my 79 55 and soldered them onto the new 60 radiator at the same outside location as the 55 radiator. Since the 60 radiator is 2.5 inches wide and the 55 is 2" wide it will sit closer to the fan, but I had plenty of clearance to make this work. The only thing I had to do was get some spacer to make the fan shroud bolt up. One other nice thing is that it is a 4 row radiator for better cooling.

Scott

Here are some pictures of the FJ60 radiator.

Scott

View attachment 91119

View attachment 91120

Scott's pictures are toast.

Did anyone try this in a non-'79 Pig?

I think the '79's run a different radiator from the other Pigs...

I am not sure what happened to the pictures, but I definitly could send anyone pictures if interested. Seemed to work great, although I havne't used it lately, the pig is under the knife, body work and an engine swap.

Later
Scott

I havn't tried to repost yet, but I will take some more pictures and try and post again.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom