Radiator for a 350 swapped 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steel nutz makes a great rad. Cheaper than rd, every bit of the same quality. Dimes stacked perfectly throughout.

The biggest one you can fit that your budget can accommodate.

Yup. Mine should be arriving today in the mail.
You mean this

20211029_172244.jpg

20211029_172256.jpg

Not sure if Ron Davis does a swapped version, but a 5 minute phone call to Mike to get your rad ordered is well worth it. He knows were to put the inlet and outlets too. I paid $1350 shipped in 2016.

23.jpg

24.jpg
25.jpg

Question, how does the rd bolt in?

Great topic which has me wondering what to do. I've been holding off to do an LS swap but I also have a nice running 350 (or used too when my bro built it years ago) and 700R4 that would make sense using. Or I could put that into my 68 C3500. Anyway, question is, will a custom radiator built for a SBC also work for an LS swap? Technically they are both small blocks I guess but might have different hook ups.

Last edited:
Great topic which has me wondering what to do. I've been holding off to do an LS swap but I also have a nice running 350 (or used too when my bro built it years ago) and 700R4 that would make sense using. Or I could put that into my 68 C3500. Anyway, question is, will a custom radiator built for a SBC also work for an LS swap? Technically they are both small blocks I guess but might have different hook ups.
In a sense yes I order them to match the ls inlet and outlet size so no mix matched hoses and also for a steam vent for the ls

If your going up mountain passes and or towing you will need more cooling than a v8 swap that just goes down the highway and trail. So factor in your vehicle use.
So I never got the notifications for this thread but wanted to ask you about your suggestion, I can find 3 core full aluminum stock radiators for within my budget and I will be going over mountain passes but very little towing. I also do some decently serious wheeling so would you say look into a custom built radiator and bite the bullet or would the full aluminum factory one work?

I've been using Ron Davis Radiators for years without issue. Great product, fully welded all aluminum. As Tommy mentioned, set up for the LS with hose size and placement how you want it along with a steam port. I have had them with and without fans, with and without trans cooler. All top quality product. Electric fans stop running at about 34-40 MPH, the radiator is getting enough air to do its job at that point.

So I never got the notifications for this thread but wanted to ask you about your suggestion, I can find 3 core full aluminum stock radiators for within my budget and I will be going over mountain passes but very little towing. I also do some decently serious wheeling so would you say look into a custom built radiator and bite the bullet or would the full aluminum factory one work?
I would say a 3 core aluminum would probably work for your plans. Towing up a pass could strain it but depends on the load and the mountain pass. Just keep an eye on the temps in those situations. My opinion anyway.

I would say a 3 core aluminum would probably work for your plans. Towing up a pass could strain it but depends on the load and the mountain pass. Just keep an eye on the temps in those situations. My opinion anyway.
Awesome, yeah the passes in Colorado can be hell but I don’t tow anything bigger than a super small motorcycle trailer and that’s kinda rare.

Awesome, yeah the passes in Colorado can be hell but I don’t tow anything bigger than a super small motorcycle trailer and that’s kinda rare.
I have my old 3 core aluminum radiator I could sell you from my 5.3 before I upgraded to the 6.0. I'm in Colorado. PM me if interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom