Radiator For a 1968 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a radiator, prefer not aluminium.

Found a couple of copper radiators, but they are listed as 1970 to 1980.

When I look on landcruiser sites like SOR, Cool Cruisers, etc. they list the radiators are the same from 1958 to 1980.

Any idea why CSF Radiator would not list back to 1958 like the other suppliers?

I have an email into CSF, hopefully for a response and clarification.

Have you looked into a factory radiator? Still available to the best of my knowledge.

Do you not have a radiator?

Based just on their picture, I see no reason the CSF wouldn't fit.

1-copy-1170x780[1].jpg

I took in a 1970 radiator to a repair shop once, they said they couldn’t fix it, but the funny part was they asked if it came from a tractor trailer.

I do have a radiator, but it is not in good shape.

CSF hasn't answered, will ring them up today, send a pict of mine with measurements.

Agree, the pict of their part looks just like mine.

I just got one of these today for my 74. It looks pretty good and no issues after first garage test run. It will fit your 68, don't worry.

20210825_182423.jpg
20210825_182706.jpg
20210825_182730.jpg
20210825_193814.jpg
20210825_193829.jpg

JackA,

Thanks.

I called CSF, they were actually no help at all. I explained they my have the product listed incorrectly as everyone else states fit from 1958 to 1980. Offered to send a sketch of measurements to compare, the rep. said they have no way to confirm as they don't have any technical support. Do they just import and sell, not manufacture?

She said I need to talk to a distributor for application information, of course the person at Summit Racing said they could only go by what CSF states.

May have to order from cruiser parts suppliers as they state the correct year, but Summit has a good price.

I attached a sketch of my old radiator. Any chance you would compare to the one you just purchased?

What P/N did you get?

Thanks in advance.

Ron
20210825_083846.jpg

I will check for you when I get home tonite. You are definitely over thinking this. All 40 radiators are the same as far as mounting and fitting in the stock radiator mount.

I can even compare this to my 68 as well for you.

I can also assist if needed. I have a 10 year old CSF sitting on my shelf which I can measure later tonight and compare to your sketch. FWIW, I found that my CSF was a good quality radiator, but the 3-core design couldn't keep up with cooling my 2F once the ambient temps got above about 75 degrees. That was why I changed it out with a 4-row OEM T-Rad radiator. The top and bottom tanks of the two radiators are nearly identical, but the 4-row core of the OEM is considerably thicker than the 3-row CSF. I would consider buying another CSF as long as it is a 4-row. Mine was a very high quality unit, just couldn't keep up with the cooling needs. Happy to provide more details on this if you're interested. HTH

The mounting hole width is the same at 21 1/8 and those are slotted holes. It's hard to measure the other dimensions in the truck. This radiator is p/n 2888. It's a 4 core. It is thicker than your spec at 3 1/8.

Measured my CSF tonight. Yep, like @JackA said the 21 1/8 dimension of the bolt holes is exactly the same. The only other dimensions that vary from your sketch are the 20” width (in my CSF is actually 19 1/4). And the 22 1/8 dimension (on my CSF is actually 22”). Sounds like a CSF will fit your truck.

Thanks to both AntFarm and JackA for the replies.

I will measure the radiator support to see if the 3 1/8 width will fit, I suspect it will.

No clue why CSF lists it only for 1970 to 1980 and had no interest in fixing their listing, or help with dimensions. Terrible customer support.

Will order today.

Last edited:
Radiator received and installed.

Tight fit and drain petcock is not aligned with hole in frame. No big deal.

Thanks again for the assistance

Radiator received and installed.

Tight fit and drain petcock is not aligned with hole in frame. No big deal.

Thanks again for the assistance
Can you provide any pictures of the fitment. Might help others make a decision if this is what direction they want to go.

Here are some.

The drain plug hits the panel as it is too far off center of the hole.
20210903_094439.jpg
20210903_094605.jpg
20210903_094628.jpg
20210903_095753.jpg

Yes, that is what came off the original. Not sure if it will fit the CSF radiator. Figure if I need to drain the coolant, will remove the lower hose.

I'd give it a trial fit just to be sure, a lot easier to drain using the petcock than removing the lower hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom