Radiator Flush/Heads up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I went down the list of things to do per the FAQ section, I decided to put the Prestone coolant flush "T" in the heater line, anticipating a full flush as the weather thawed and I could attached a hose. Meanwhile, I drained the system and put the Prestone Radiator Cleaner in, which recommends driving the truck for 3-4 hours before flushing the system and refilling it with new coolant.

Two weeks later and maybe 30 miles, I had a major leak in my radiator, which I then replaced. Apparently my radiator was on the way out, but the additive accelerated the failure, for sure. I guess it's better than it failing on the highway somewhere, but I don't think I'll ever use that stuff again!

Could have something to do with leaving the cleaning agent in for 2 weeks vs the recommended 3-4 hours, no?

Don't think so. The directions said drive it for 3-4 hours, not leave it in for that period of time.

I don't think the cleaner was a problem, if anything, it helped you you find a problem that might have surfaced-as you said-on the highway.

Sooner or later you would have sprung a leak.

I agree with JLH911

More then likely scale and deposits were covering the pin hole in the radiator and it uncovered it. Being said, the flush did its job and your radiator already had a problem that was uncovered. Prestone flush has been around for a very very long time.

Thank the friends at Prestone for doing the free coolant test to determine you had a problem to begin with.

The "over the counter" radiator flushes are so mild and minimally effective, that they really only remove very loose stuff anyway. IF that flush caused the leak, it probably would have happened within a week or so even if you had not used the flush.

Mark...

I was wondering what ever happened with that radiator. What did you decide to go with? How are things coming? That Rodney did wonders for my ride. But man it took me a bit. Got to know my Cruiser better so all is well. She's smooth as silk now, still haven't talked myself into the knuckles yet, even with all the bad*** advice everyone gave me. Oh well I'll suck it up and get it done as soon as these 600 MPH winds calm down. Take it easy man.

Ham,

After doing a little homework here, I went with a CSF radiator from Autopartswarehouse, of all places. It's the exact same aftermarket radiator that CCOT and SOR sell, and at least $75 cheaper. Came in it's original CSF box, probably dropped shipped from CSF. $237, bargain, fit perfectly, all metal, bit of a job pulling everything off to get at it, but it's done.

Wondering why Rodney took so long for you?

Nick

using air is more agressive

Years ago, came across a shop that used pulsed shop air in addition to water to flush. It was like WOW that pulse system is making your heater hoses jump! That must be a great system. He said it is and does a excellent job.

I have yet to see one again, but if I do, will buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom