Radiator fill up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats the mixture (fluid + water) and volume (gallons/litres) I should put into my new radiator. The whole system was flushed including the block. For water it should be distilled correct? Its an F engined FJ40

Thanks.

Last edited:
Depends on where you live and the low-temp protection you want. Check out the chart on the container of the antifreeze that you are going to use. The F system holds a total of 17.5 quarts if I recall correctly.

50/50 assuming the block is empty. If you flushed wth water the block is full and adding 50/50 will get you something less once the eztra water is figured in. Distilled doesn't have the impuritites and it what I use. It may not make that big of a differnence depending on your water. I'd buy 3 gallons of Prestone and 3 gallons of distilled wayer, that way you are sure to have enough and have a little extra for later.

Just did this last week. 3 gallons of each is plenty. Unless you forget to tighten the clamp on the upper radiator hose and you lose most of the coolant on the test run. Then you need another two gallons of each. :eek:

On the Prestone bottles it specifies between 50% and 70% depending on how much protection you need (from -34 to -84 IIRC).

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom