Radiator EBB (easily broken barb) Fix. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You know about the PHH, but do you know about the EBB (Easily Broken Barb)? Yep that silly little plastic barb right on top of your radiator that'll snap off when you up in your engine working on it. Well, don't replace your expensive radiator, do this instead...

Order a new barb. This is the one I used: ttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXR725M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1600574523342.png

You can add the little washer it comes with to your scrap hardware coffee can, we won't be using it.

Here is the situation at hand...
1600573161848.png

Now take a flush cut saw and cut off all the topography like this...
1600573259187.png

There is still some left due to the curvature of the radiator top...
1600573321071.png

So take some sandpaper and sand it flush...
1600573385563.png

Now drill the hole larger. You were going to replace the whole radiator anyway, right? Got nothing to loose. I can't recall, I think i used a 13/32 bit for this. When in doubt, start smaller and work up until hole is big enough for the next step.

Last edited:
1600574284826.png

Now, using the proper tap, in my case a M12x1.5, CAREFULLY tap the hole. This is obviously plastic so go slow and easy cutting the threads.
1600573795061.png

Prep the barb by putting some thread tape on, and a rubber O-Ring. I just picked up a mixed set of O-rings from Autozone and used one that fit.
1600573922579.png

Carefully thread the barb in, just until the O-ring starts to compress.

1600573992214.png

Re-attach your hose and you're done. Don't forget to top off your coolant. BTW, I waited to post this until driving around this summer in the scorching Utah heat to make sure it indeed fixes it. I didn't have so much as a drop leak.

EBB ;) Nice! Several others(me) have described various repair methods for this, but this seems very duplicate-able. I might even gather the needed pieces and keep it in the truck - just in case-in some obscure place.

Last edited:
Great idea, and not hard to put together an emergency kit to keep in the vehicle.

View attachment 2440755

Now, using the proper tap, in my case a M12x1.5, CAREFULLY tap the hole. This is obviously plastic so go slow and easy cutting the threads.
View attachment 2440734

Prep the barb by putting some thread tape on, and a rubber O-Ring. I just picked up a mixed set of O-rings from Autozone and used one that fit.
View attachment 2440738

Carefully thread the barb in, just until the O-ring starts to compress.

View attachment 2440744

Re-attach your hose and you're done. Don't forget to top off your coolant. BTW, I waited to post this until driving around this summer in the scorching Utah heat to make sure it indeed fixes it. I didn't have so much as a drop leak.

Nice fix. Only thing I would change is to use JB Plastic Weld instead of an O-Ring and Thread Tape to afix it. Then put a nipple protector over the new fix so it doesn't happen again.

Plastic Weld.jpg

Nipple Guard01.jpg
Nipple Guard02.jpg

I ran thay same fix but with a brass fitting, for about 10 years. Radiator finally cracked and I fixed it the right way👍

I ran thay same fix but with a brass fitting, for about 10 years. Radiator finally cracked and I fixed it the right way👍

After reading this I thought I would have a shot at it. Brass barb with some high temp expoxy, hope I get 10 years out of it too ;)

210807 radiator barb fix.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom