Radiator draincock cocked up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TEQ

Tigger
Threads
Website
www.kindel.com
Ok, this is supposed to be simple. I want to drain my radiator. Simple:

- Find draincock (noob, so I have to look)
- Put bucket underneath
- Turn draincock
- Watch fluid drain out

But on my rig it ain't so simple.

There's no cock. Just a brass 14mm plug.

So I remove it expecting fluid to flow. No joy.

Get a flash light and look up in the sucker. It's blocked off. The nut that holds the plug has a hole in the side. I can see where the tube off the nut goes into the radiator.

What totally stupid and simple thing am I missing? Maybe I should go to bed.

Pic illustrates what I see when looking up from underneath.
Front Axles 035 Quick e-mail view.jpg

When I wanted to open mine I just ran into a hill at about 20mph and it drained just fine.. I don't know if that was the correct way though because to shut it I had to buy a custom alum. rad. off ebay and fab. up a bracket to mount it with....

I have seen where it gets rust flake built up. Try to run a coat hanger end to check for blockage.

Best,

Shane

AATLAS1X said:
I have seen where it gets rust flake built up. Try to run a coat hanger end to check for blockage.

Best,

Shane

Yeah looks to me aswell that there is just crap in there, did mine a few weeks ago, removed nut, no flow, poked up the hole with small screwdriver, there she flows.

BJ

If you are flushing out the coolant you can also consider using the block drain by the exhaust manifold. In combination with the lower radiator hose you will get all of the coolant out of the radiator and the block too.

bj42turbo said:
Yeah looks to me aswell that there is just crap in there, did mine a few weeks ago, removed nut, no flow, poked up the hole with small screwdriver, there she flows.

BJ

x3. It was so blocked up I figured I was doing something wrong. I drained it from the lower hose, removed the radiator. Turned out there was just lots of gunk blocking it up.

Sean.

Ditto on the clog - I removed the brass plug - nothing. So I put a screwdriver up there and was rewarded with a huge flush of coolant in my face - It came out so fast I thought I was going to electrocute myself with the shoplight that was on the floor in a puddle of coolant.

same, long thin screwdriver. WHOOOSH

troy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom