Radiator Drain Plug on 1996 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is the radiator drain plug located on the driver side? I took the skid off yesterday and still could not seem to spot it? Is it easier to see from topside or bottom? I thought about pulling lower hose off, but decided that I would post to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

The plug is in the lower tank on the left hand side facing the rear of the vehicle. Reach up from the underside of the radiator with the front splash shield removed. The radiator support has a hole in the bottom left hand side that the coolant drains thru(sorta). It splashes around. Collect it the best you can and keep the pets away from it.

&nbsp:Dan

Dan,

When you say splash shield, do you mean the skid plate or do I need to remove something else?

The sheet metal plate bolted to the front frame Xmember under the radiator support. It sort of snakes around the steering shock..................Hope this helps, Dan

Tenn

>> The plug is in the lower tank on the left hand <<
>> side facing the rear of the vehicle.  <<

The radiator drain plug itself is facing the rear of the vehicle. Left side refers to you facing the FRONT of the vehicle. It is a white plastic drain plug.

-B-

-B-

There you go again, Left is Right ETC.

What I meant was: It is on the left hand side of the vehicle(USDS to you) and IT FACES the rear of the vehicle.

Who's on first?.................... ::)

You edited your post, Didn't you? ::)

C-Dan,

>> You edited your post, Didn't you? <<

Yep. The first time I read your reply I thought maybe the 3 core radiators were different. Then I realized you were saying the PLUG was facing the rear. Thought the clarification might help Tenn. :D

-B-

I could not find it yesterday....I will look again. My empty plaster bucket fits nicely underneath. It is a messy job, but I think the prior owner mixed Toyota Orange with Green A.F.

It is really going to need some flushing.

Tenn,
Be sure to drain the block. Post back if you need instructions.
-B-

I am going to give it a good flush with H2O. Is the drain plug on the block easily accessed? Will need some direction. I had thought that I might pass on draining it by calculating how much coolant I will need to put in for mix. I will be using distilled water as well.

Tenn,
Don't skip the block draining step since you know the coolant has been mixed with different brands.

The block drain is a brass plug on the left side of the engine block (on the 1FZ-FE). You can access it through the left front wheel well with the tyre on. Use about 3' of extension and a 12mm (IIRC) socket. I would drain the block first so the full radiator gives a little more pressure to flush rust and other particles from the block. Using the Prestone flush kit helps in getting all the old coolant from the block and the radiator.

Inspect the insides of the radiator after it is drained. If you see a gray paste then you need to have the radiator professionally cleaned/rodded.

Good to hear you are using distilled water. That is the ONLY way to do it right.

-B-

-B-,

It may be a 14mm I did mine last fall but I've slept since then :slap:

I can't stress enough, Please keep the stuff away from pets. It kills them in a very ugly way.............. :tear:

T -

The brass plug on the block is 14mm... and one of the reasons the radiator drain is so hard to locate, is that it is buried inside a wad of foam insulation like a mouse hiding in its nest. You've got to pull all that foam away to actually get your hand on the thing.

Cheers!

R -

Use a needle nose vice grip and make sure it is tight as my plug would drip and I would tighten it till it would go no more. The next day it was leaking again. I did this for a week or so. Just keep an eye on the overflow for a while.
kurt

Kurt,
You may have a bad O-ring on yours. It doesn't take much to get a good seal. Be careful how much you tighten because it is a plastic wing-nut type of plug.
-B-

I have a new one on order but how do I remove the plug catch. I pulled but I didn't want to brake it off inside the rad.
kurt

Kurt,
I don't understand. The rad drain plug on mine pulled out fairly easily. Since it has an O-ring seal maybe you just need to tug on it a little. It didn't take much though so if you think it is hung or stuck then you need to inspect so see what is going on.
-B-

The plug came out but there was a hook catch to keep the plug from falling to the ground. I wanted to pull it out but didn't want to brake off the catch. THen I would have to pull the rad to get the catch out of the rad. It is a replacement rad. but don't know who made it.
kurt

kurt,

>> It is a replacement rad. but don't know who made it. <<

These are ESSENTIAL details you must point out before giving or asking for advice. For all we know, you could have a stainless steel drain plug on your after market radiator. Cranking it down isn't the same as advising someone to crank down their OEM plastic plug with vice grips!

-B-

It is the plastic plug. How can I tell if it is Toyota or aftermarket?
The last owner said it cost him $1700 for the radiator installed. I have a hard time believing him.
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom