Radiator/Cooling needs... Classic Willys (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! This is my first post on this forum so please be patient. I have seen some GREAT DIY fiberglass fan shroud builds and many other projects too! Attached you will see pictures of the fan shroud that I built for our 1952 Willys pickup. I have a few questions about this. I am using an authenitic 16" Spal puller fan for cooling (3000cfm, 2900 measured at 12v). The fan shroud has the fan offset to one side and "flaps" on the other side to maximize cooling at everything over 24mph. This was calculated from surface area of the fan and airspeed (yay algebra!!). We are currently swapping in *mostly* stock SBC 350 and a rebuilt 700R4 transmission. The 3 row radiator in the vehicle has a built in trans cooler that we will be utilizing (hence, the upgraded fan and fan shroud to keep engine+trans cool). In the future we plan to do a custom fab'd A/C unit in the truck utilizing factory components, and VintageAir brand parts too. When we fit the condenser, I want to be SURE that it has adequate airflow at speed and idle to cool it even it hot Idaho summers. I am contemplating fitting either one or two Spal brand 7.5inch pusher fans but am unsure about placement to optimize it. Here are a few considerations:

THIS IS NOT A RACE TRUCK. IT IS A "FUN TO DRIVE-GET ICECREAM WITH MY WIFE-AND LISTEN TO MOTELY CRU TRUCK."

1. Please don't tell me to fit a belt driven fan. The fitment is not possible given the geometry of the engine bay.
2. The engine will have a mild cam (it will idle well and have a tiny bit more lift) and will be bored over no more than .040. It will be running a dual plane Edlebrock RPM performer manifold with an Edlebrock 650cfm manual choke AVS carb.
3. The strain on the electrical system is of no consequence. After fitting a 600watt stereo we equipped it with a 200amp alternator and a Yellow top optima battery.
4. Suggestions for thermostat temp. I realize that hotter=better atomization (within reason) but I want to hear some suggestions regardless.

Here are some pictures, First time building a shroud, so please tell me what you think!
20210518_181031[1].jpg
20210518_182758[1].jpg
20210519_172127[1].jpg

20210528_205843[1].jpg

20210530_130258[1].jpg

In regards to the Spal pusher fan(s), They will only be running when the A/C is turned on. If they were to be installed, should they be on the side of the radiator with the flaps? Or inline with the primary radiator fan? Thanks so much for the help and suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom