Radiator Cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GXO

GXO
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
gxor.org
So I picked up a trick from the FJ Cruiser people. They have the worst possible shroud design that catches and holds mud, gook, etc in their radiators. i have seen new trucks overheat from dirty, dirty radiators.

I sit here with my 80 thinking my pressure washing, etc was doing the trick....then I got the radiator/condensor cleaner for my garden hose.

LITERALLY 2-3 pounds of sand and mud flew out of my radiator when I cranked it up and started working. This is after several cleanings with pressure washer and hose.

I have the RavenTai mod for the gauges, and the temp went from a steady 3/4 all the time to halfway most of the time with 3/4 only under a load or heavy AC usage.

So, when was the last time you cleaned your radiator with one of these?

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/the467.html

Sleep well!

Have never done it but, looks interesting enough to try sometime this summer for sure! ;)

I think it is a problem most overlook. I would never have thought I wasn't getting it done right until the FJCruiser people starting having problems.

I was amazed at how much crap I had been missing with pressure and water.

I have never cleaned my radiator with water fearing that the presure will bend fins. Can I use a garden hose with like a hose end sprayer and not have to worry about bending fins?

yep. The tool I posted is made to clean exactly what we are talking about and sprays at a very low volume but a higher pressure to get the gunk out without bending fins. I don't think a hose would do it, but a pressure washer would indeed bend fins.

I think it is a problem most overlook. I would never have thought I wasn't getting it done right until the FJCruiser people starting having problems.

I was amazed at how much crap I had been missing with pressure and water.

Dan, looking at the device, it looks like it has two nozzles at 90 degrees. Is that it? And you just snake it between the rad and condenser, as well as the backside (engine side) of the rad? (How about where the shroud "shades" the rad?)

I do know that trying to squirt water from the engine side of the rad thru both the rad and the condenser, pressure and flow was compromised. As well as the shroud "shading" the whole flow issue.

Good tech, buddy! :cheers:

Good find.

I was able to get it a little cheaper on ebay. The sjdiscounttools price was $29.24 plus $11 something shipping.

Seller cbmtools had it on ebay for $28.99 BIN with $6.99 shipping. Not a big deal but it saved $4-$5 bucks.

I run it from the front side, cleaning the front of the condenser, then the back side of the condenser, then the front of the radiator, then the back of the radiator, then repeat until you only get clean water. The tool is small enough to fit back inside the shroud.

I also use it as a handy little mud killer in my corners of the bumper, etc.

Sweet, I just bought one. I need to do this to my home A/C unit as the A/C guy suggested when I said it didn't work like it used to.

good call....my AC guy used one when I had my service done a few weeks back.

I just ordered one. My truck got a touch warm yesterday at 80mph with the AC on into a 40mph head wind. It was only 94* outside. It was happier when I came off the interstate and ran 65 on the highway.

Hopefully this will get me a bit better efficiency out of the radiators.

Always something.

I just tried to find something similar .. no go. Link please!!!

Try this:

Thexton 467A Cleaning Wand

Just a Google search that should hopefully work for a long time and then you can peruse the sites to find the best price :D

Here is the updated link to the wand on SJ's page: Thexton 467A High Pressure Air/Water Cleaning Wand

sjdiscounttools_2078_71731147

That's what I had found .. is this the same device that they found in 2007?

That's what I had found .. is this the same device that they found in 2007?

Yep...I bought one back then and it has been used by various members in my club with great success :)

They might have changed the design a little but not in any obvious way that I can tell looking at the picture...Just looks like the model # changed from 467 to 467A for some reason :confused:

cool! .. nice work Corsair. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom