radiator changing tips. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Threads
swapped the radiator in the 60 tonight. first time i'd ever torn into one... here are some tips for anyone who may need to do one.

only pull the top left and right bolts in the front. the four lower bolts hold a bracket, not the radiator. the lower radiator bolts are accessed from the top. \

you do not need to remove the surge tank to get to the left lower bolt, but you will need to pop it off to get the radiator out, so just pull the dang thing off now.

while wd40 will make it nice to pop the upper mounting bushings into the radiator, they will make it a bitch to get the second side of the bushing to stay attached.

don't buy a new upper radiator hose if you just replaced it last summer when you put the new water pump on.

install the lower radiator hose on the water pump before you install the radiator because i have small arms and i still had a hell of a time wedging my arm between the shroud and alternator belt to tighten the clamp.

regardless of what your neighbor thinks, it's perfectly normal to use a hairdryer to dry the fresh paint on your lower radiator pipe.
Copy of P5210022.JPG
Copy of P5210030.JPG

184.95 shipped from radiatorbarn.com.

hopefully it will work well. i have to hit vatozone in the morning and find a rad cap cause it's got a weenie little 1" or so inlet where my old one had a normal cap, but i can't bash it till i run it and i was planning on replacing the cap anyway.

I'm pretty sure with that rad you can use an FZJ80 radiator cap. That way you can stay Toyota.

When I did my 60 radiator, I pulled the battery box to make it easier to get at the lower bolt on that side. You are right about it being difficult to attach hoses to the water pump, especially that 2 inch long 5/8 hose that goes from the pump to the lower heater pipe. That one sucked.

The hair dryer pic is classic.

You should be fine with it.
I got one from one of those radiator dot com's and I think they're all CSF's.
The small cap is OEM size for the later 60's.
At any rate, yours looks exactly like mine and I've had it a few years.

Couple of other things I remember doing...
I changed most of the belts and hoses, down to the two under the vehicle that go to the rear heater. Those are always exposed to the elements and take a beating. I then covered them with electrical split loom along with the the straight oil cooler hose just under the oil filter.

I also took some adhesive backed foam rubber insulation and framed the radiator where it will seal to the body. IIRC, it had to be fairly thick in some areas, maybe an inch.

I should have rebuilt the fan clutch while I was at it. But it was easy enough to do down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom