Radiator + Catalytic Converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long term lurker and possibly first time poster.

I have had a 97 LX 450 for the last 6 years or so. I bought it from a good friend of mine who's mother bought it certified pre-owned from a Lexus dealer back in 97 or 98. It's stock except an ARB front bumper and winch. It's triple locked and has under 200k on the clock.

Through a series of recent unfortunate events, she needs a new radiator and a new catalytic converter. I'm lucky the winch is still there. They tried but didn't get it all the way off.

I've reviewed a few threads on radiators without a solid definitive answer on brand or source. Most of the threads are older and a lot has transpired, especially regarding logistics and availability.

This is the first catalytic converter I've had to deal with. What's the best way to handle this?

All help is appreciated! I had hoped to start modifying this babe over the winter but looks like I'm going to have to get her back running right first.

A triple locked LX with under 200K, nice ! :steer: So thieves stole your cat and rad? or just the cat? OEM rad is the best of course. I think they are currently back ordered. Denso units from RockAuto seem to be a popular choice. I have one from Napa that has held up for 4 years so far. For the cat, again OEM is the best but really pricey. Check a local exhaust shop out to see what they can offer ya. Magnaflow is another soild choice. And running right is most important haha, mods can wait.

I just pulled my factory radiator and dropped an aluminum one in, so if you’re in need I can sell you mine. Lmk I can box it and ship it tomorrow.

Anyway, I’m so curious why you need one ! ? Did the thieves puncture it ? ? Or try to steal that too ? ? ? 🤷‍♂️

A triple locked LX with under 200K, nice ! :steer: So thieves stole your cat and rad? or just the cat? OEM rad is the best of course. I think they are currently back ordered. Denso units from RockAuto seem to be a popular choice. I have one from Napa that has held up for 4 years so far. For the cat, again OEM is the best but really pricey. Check a local exhaust shop out to see what they can offer ya. Magnaflow is another soild choice. And running right is most important haha, mods can wait.

The thieves only got the cat, my battery, my boat battery and attempts my winch. The radiator is the reason the cruiser was parked where it was.

4th of July weekend my alternator went out. I had a mechanic buddy replace it and gave him all the belts to replace at the same time. He claimed the belts weren't the right ones and didn't need to be replaced anyway so he didn't do it.

She rarely gets driven and was in the way at my house so I ask my girlfriend to drive it to my shop to get it out of the way when we're headed to the shop anyway. She runs a few errands and pulls in at the shop with steam blowing everywhere while she's hanging out the window asking what's going on. You can imagine my thought process.

I let it cool down and move it out of the way where I can investigate. Two belts are shredded and radiator is blown all the way open along the top plastic piece. Naturally, I'm pissed off.

I left it in that spot, outside the shop in an unfenced yard, while I figured out what to do about the radiator. Got busy and she sat too long.

I hadn't had any problems at this location for the several months I've had it. Pretty good area, fair amount of light, and nothing had gone missing in the months prior. I guess I pushed my luck a bit too far.

I just pulled my factory radiator and dropped an aluminum one in, so if you’re in need I can sell you mine. Lmk I can box it and ship it tomorrow.

Anyway, I’m so curious why you need one ! ? Did the thieves puncture it ? ? Or try to steal that too ? ? ? 🤷‍♂️
Hmmm, I may just take you up on that. What made you go with a new aluminum rad?

I gave the fuller story above on the thievery ^

Hmmm, I may just take you up on that. What made you go with a new aluminum rad?

I gave the fuller story above on the thievery ^
Holds about 3/4 of a gallon more coolant and cools better. Finally got my shroud built for the fans too. Poured a 70/30 mix in and it’s all good.
1663210799700.jpeg

It’s a fatty. Little fab work but I’m happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom