radiator cap of all things (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Cruiser has overheated twice now - much ta my consternation!

I swapped out the radiator cap to a 12lb cap - it was overheating at 215 degrees...

Drove all the way home from Chama without a heat-up!

Still think I might need a bigger radiator - but the weather was 108 - and the long uphill climbs were heating her up!

But wait - just back and the clutch fan never powers up like it used ta!

hmmm

how does this help with the overheating issue? can you please pm me.

Thanks Chuck

19Jul2005 (UTC +8)

CruisinTiger said:
how does this help with the overheating issue? can you please pm me.

Thanks Chuck

Higher water pressure increases boiling point temperatures of water/coolant mix. Bad radiator caps cannot hold high pressure. But too high rad cap pressure may force leaks in other cooling system components.

Freightdog what temp are you averaging.

210-215 is what my normal range is, (85 w/ the stock radiator).

In fact this past weekend White Shark helped me flush my radiator in prep for the hotter days of summer.

Even after the flush I'm still around 210-215.

Cookiemonster - Yep, runnin 210-215 the problem was - I would hit 215 and she would boil over...the cap has a .9 on it so I am assuming that it means 9lbs ? The book says it needs a 12lbs cap - so it seems to not be boiling over now. On long uphills between 6000' - 8000' with the A/C running it will go to 220.

Next question - does altitude affect boiling point?

Cookiemonster said:
Freightdog what temp are you averaging.

210-215 is what my normal range is, (85 w/ the stock radiator).

In fact this past weekend White Shark helped me flush my radiator in prep for the hotter days of summer.

Even after the flush I'm still around 210-215.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

Interesting calculator that shows the adjusted boiling point of water due to altitude!

at 6500' (Pinon where I live) the boiling point is 199.3 degrees

when I climb over the pass to get outa here - 8000' = 196 degrees

So, depending on the barometric pressure on a given day - boiling point goes down as altitude goes up.

Good link to keep under favorites, thanks!

I've had the truck up to the high sierra's a few times, w/out any probs. Highest was probably around 7500'

I only live appox. 30' above sea level, & less than 100 yards from it too.

Based upon the calculations boiling point for me is 210 degrees. Anyway thanks again for the link, good to know.

freightdog said:
I would hit 215 and she would boil over...the cap has a .9 on it so I am assuming that it means 9lbs ? The book says it needs a 12lbs cap - so it seems to not be boiling over now. On long uphills between 6000' - 8000' with the A/C running it will go to 220. Next question - does altitude affect boiling point?
The stock cap is rated for .9 Bar. That's 12-13PSI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom