rad trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
yo hi from canada my 94 fj80 was over heating fri , I replaced the thermostat it was fine for the first 30miles once I hit the hills the temp shot up and blew the top off the rad , I mean blew the top of the rad off in pieces. A little hot under the collar. :confused:

Maybe radiator was full of sludge. Did you drain engine block and flush radiator when installing new thermostat? Curious how these plastic things explode.

Andy

thank for the quick response , the front and rear heaters blow lots of heat . I well cheque the water pump is there a way to do that . and ho about the clutch fan.? and yes newbi

I bought this 80 from cal 3mouths ago and I din't flush the rad be for I put in the new thermostat

With the rad in pieces it migth be hard to test the pump.
Spin the fan, if there is resistance is ok.There will be more resistance when hot. If it spins freely is bad.

Robbie told me that to test the clutch fan you need gloves. With the engine running, use the finger tips to see if you can stop the fan, The fan clutch should engage and you should feel it take off. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Careful even with gloves

i don't see how he can test the heaters with the rad blown.

could a bad t-stat do this if it didn't open? did you put the t-stat in the right way around and did you use buy the thin rubber o-ring that goes around the t-stat? also is that a toyota t-stat or aftermarket?

also, was the coolant red or brown when you started, and if so did you add green antifreeze?

t stat was aftermarket put the o-ring on and pretty sure i put in right way . The coolant was dirty when I put the new one in .then with new coolant. p.s name is Craig I appreciate all the good info and well tackel the rad inthe morring .

Did it have green or red/orange coolant?
What color did you replace it with?

If you change from green to red or red to green, you need to get every last drop of the coolant out as the two coolants are not compatable and will make a sludge.

You may want to do a compression test on the engine before you go through all the work and you find you have a blowen head gasket. It takes alot of force to blow the tank off the radiator, more like the head gasket leaking. Also you may want to change your rad cap, as it is not letting out the pressure. good luck robbie

if you bought the t-stat from lordco chances are it is the wrong one. every single part I have ever tried to buy from them was wrong for my 93 and my brothers 91. their parts charts are completely messed up for landcruisers after 1989.

my money is on you having the wrong t-stat in there or else installing it backwards or off centre restricting flow somehow.

i also agree with robbie. once you get the rad fixed do the bubbles in overflow tank test. your head gasket could be toast.

by the way craig i am in vancouver. if you need any help throw me a pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom