Racor Pre-Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Threw on a Racor filter today. Designed for outboard engines, with 60 GPM flow rate. Just like the diesel ones on the boats, it has a petcock and a plastic bowl on the bottom to drain out sediment/water from the fuel system.

I know, it's probably overkill - if nothing else, it looks cool. :flipoff2:
IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

RockDoc also runs an extra filter. His extra filter pulls out smaller particles than that of a stock one. I forget what size micron filter he said it was.

How much $$$ set you back?:hmm:

$

$89.00 + Tax

$10.00 for hose

$2.00 for clamps

filters to 10 Micron, IIRC

Might sound like an overkill, but I like overkills!:grinpimp:

Racors are great! And definitely easier to change the filter than the factory copper-washer job. Maybe overkill??? But I'm a boat repair tech and I'd be hypocritical if I didn't mention that I dream of someday mounting a big diesel racor to the firewall of my 62! Well, gotta get the diesel first, I guess...

10 micron is the standard that EFI filters are supposed to filter to. Way finer than a carb should need, but that's not a bad thing!

Now that is slicker than owl snot!

boats

Just used to them from the boats - they really are the cat's ass. If its rough, we'll go through at least a filter per trip - the diesel grows bacteria and the crap in the tank gets stirred up if the weather's bad....

The onlt part that sucks about them is price. About $300.00 each for the ones we use on the big boat - Cummins N14MTA, bout 440HP....lil more than the 2F:D

Thanks for all of the comments.

N14 is a nice engine.... in my former life I worked at Peterbilt Motors... Racor makes some nice stuff.
Back "then" it was the cummins N14, and Detroit 60 series and the Cat C-10's through C-15's... and M-8 and Cummins ISX? Don't know what they run now in the big rigs... Cummins may be the largest single player in the Class 8 truck market now.

N14

N14 is a nice engine.... in my former life I worked at Peterbilt Motors... Racor makes some nice stuff.
Back "then" it was the cummins N14, and Detroit 60 series and the Cat C-10's through C-15's... and M-8 and Cummins ISX? Don't know what they run now in the big rigs... Cummins may be the largest single player in the Class 8 truck market now.

Elbert,
The only downside of our motor is the stack temps....when we're towing around 1400RPM, EGT stays pegged around 1200 F. :mad:

A lot of the boats have repowered with the computerized CAT 34/35 series - they're sweet. They have a digital display right in the wheelhouse that gives all of the sensor data.

Nothing beats the sound of a 671 GM though, just something about the screaming jimmy that gives me a woody:flipoff2:

- Cummins N14MTA, bout 440HP....lil more than the 2F:D

Holy SMOKES!! 14L and only 440 HP?

The 4.2EI we use are 320HP, we can get the QSB5.9's up to 480HP!

I'll have to get a shot of Tampa's Engine room for you... We just loaded the 4 Iveco's into it today!!

Do you run Duplex Racors in the trawler? -Thems mighty expensive! There is a really nice setup we are building into the Warwick boat, the filters have drag gauges for suction - so you can see when it is time to change the filter! - sweet option!

filters

momo - we actually run to singles piggybacked off each other - that way we can switch between the two. it's actually less expensive to run two singles than a double!

Insanely cheaper I know!! For some reason everyone likes to spec "Racor Duplex" filters when they order a boat from us!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom