Rack, VGRS/VSC dash lights and wander? Unravelling a mystery. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In regards to our work-in-progress 2005 LX470 (307k miles, Slee 3" lift, deleted AHC):

We bought this LX just a few weeks ago and have been going through the long list of items to make the LX great again. The biggest mystery at this point is the steering system.

Here's the issue/symptoms:
1. VSC OFF dash lights lights illuminated
2. VGRS light always illuminated
3. Steering rack with a slight leak in the driver's side boot.
4. Steering wander upon acceleration, side to side at certain speeds. This I dislike the most.
5. Power steering hoses are coated in fluid, but I'm not sure how long that's been there.

Pieces of the puzzle:
  • Codes from TechStream:
  • VGRS C1531 ECU failure
  • VSC/TRAC C1289
  • Further tests in TechStream give me "Steering Angle Adjust has failed and says DTC except C1515/C1516/C1532/C1568 are detected. Diagnose them prior to the Steering Angle Adjust." See screen shot.
More Pieces:
  • Called the dealer, gave them the VIN and they reported that all recall work had been performed, including the steering column.
  • We just installed new CV axles on both sides, and the steering overall is quiet and pretty smooth. It just wanders back and forth a bit under acceleration and TBH, it's disconcerting.
  • When turning the wheels while on the ground, the rack really doesn't have much play in it or move much at all.

More to the mystery:
Almost exactly three years ago and 50k miles ago, the dealer records show they diagnosed a leaking PS rack. Then, the owner took it to a third party mechanic who appears to have replaced both the steering rack and power steering pump. Based on the invoice, I'm going to assume both of those items were not OEM. However, previous owner told us that the rack needed to be replaced even though it was done three years ago. The steering was noisy when we test drove it, but replacing the clearly worn CV axles actually solved "steering noise". So I'm not exactly sure who or why he was given the diagnosis.

So, oh wise collective, how would you approach this mystery? Hardware first? Software issue? All intertwined? A whole rack? Bushings?

I'd like to solve the steering wander first as it makes the drive feel less predicable and a little unsafe and then tackle the codes, unless of course it's all part of the same issue.

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom