Rack Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you guys think about a flat rack vs a traditional rack. I’m probably gonna do the ARB aluminum with mesh bottom. I can go traditional or flat with the FJ. I like them both. I will never run a RTT so that doesn’t change things. Flat “might” allow me to pull in my garage if needed, though I do not park there.

I will probably have a swag up there (sometimes 2), some random camping gear, fuel for long trips on very rare occasions, and I will put a homemade pvc water/shower tube next year for longer trips.

I’m really leaning towards the flat rack. It’s light, won’t rust, has plenty of attachments for fuel carriers etc.... any naysayers?

I had a traditional rack on my 80 with the tire carrier up there. Very quickly realized it looked cool, but wished I had gone with a flat rack for versatility. Just feel like you get to truly use all the space on a flat rack compared to the traditional

I know I plan on getting a flat rack for the 200. I really want to get a RTT eventually, on top of that a lot of reviews I have read talk about how much you can configure around on top of a flat rack.

If I hade a rack I would want it to be a 36DD:rofl:

But I vote flat!

If I hade a rack I would want it to be a 36DD🤣

But I vote flat!
Damn I was too late to the party. Size doesn't matter they all taste the same.

I had an old Garvin rack with the tire on the roof, it was a pain, but it sure did look cool, not to mention all those yellow smiley faced lights.

Speaking of KC has a new rack out but looks like it costs $$$$$$$

Nah. I will be going front runner when the time comes. On a side note, I’m at patient first with a fever. It’s standing room only. They are basically just doing flu and strep tests on everyone. Brace yourselves.

I was at Wegman's today, contemplating a purchase from the bulk food bins (which are at least lidded to prevent SOME contamination), when I watched a guy sneeze violently into his hands, blow his dripping nose multiple times into a handkerchief (who uses those anymore?) then walk right up to a bin and grab the scoop and fill a bag. The old me would've sprayed his backside with fish sauce, or snuck some lube and a child's toy into his cart, or maybe just loudly admonished his sorry, germ-spreading ass with a lesson in common sense and hygiene. The new me just changed my mind about the apricots and cashews. I sometimes lay awake at 1:15am and miss the old me.

Oh, and I like the peace of mind that comes from having sides on a roof rack. Try loading a flat alone, while parked off camber or angled up/down and see what you think. But...flat racks generally look cool.

Good call on the mesh floor, especially in reference to the above off-angle loading a flat- much quicker finding a lashing point before the item slides off.

Last edited:
Last year, Sarah and I came down with it at the same time. She’d had a flu shot. I hadn’t. She was better just one day before me. And...during that time, I’d bought more than one item online that wasn’t really, shall we say, necessary or inexpensive! At least it was all stuff for the trucks!

Haha. Same. My wife “Sarah” had flu shot and I didn’t. She has to get it for her job. She didn’t get quite as sick, but I’m not very tough when I’m sick, so it’s easy to outclass me in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom