Rack mods...4 lights and 3 bike racks for <$80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did some quick mods recently, thought I'd post some pics.

I end up doing a lot of night 'wheelin and wanted some more light around the truck for better visibility.

Solution? 2 pairs of APC brand driving lights for $12 a pair(on sale at advance auto). I know they're not the best lights, but they're cheap and they put out a pretty decent amount of light. They also have a limited lifetime warranty ;p

They came with the majority of the wiring I needed, save for a heavy guage power wire, a relay, and a switch. I already had the switch leftover from another project, so I spent ~$15 on wire, the relay, and some misc. connectors. Total cost $40.

Now onto the pics. The first shows the front lights in their "stored" position. Hopefully this will keep the law off my back about them not being covered.
rack lights 004.jpg
rack lights 005.jpg
rack lights 006.jpg

Now onto the rear. I wanted lights that would serve as backup lights when I was in town, but could serve as side/camp lights when out in the woods. This required a versatile mount that would allow the positioning of the lamps to be changed. Enter Yakima mightymount. I needed to add a small piece of rubber to the inside of the mount to snug it up, but other than that, it was a very simple installation process.
rack lights 007.jpg
rack lights 008.jpg
rack lights 009.jpg

One more pic of the rear light and a pic of the switch. I had to remove the woodgrain around the switch in order for it to flip back and forth. I don't have any goof-off here, but I'm going home this weekend and will take care of that, so don't harrass me yet! :D
rack lights 013.jpg
rack lights 016.jpg

And finally the bike rack. I started to get back into mountain biking towards the end of this summer and had no way to carry my bike, short of just strapping it to the rack. Once I started riding w/ friends I decided I needed to be able to carry more bikes. I tried to adapt my Yakima steelhead bike tray from my old Yakima rack, but alas it wouldn't work. I looked around for a while until I found these fork mounts. I got them at www.performancebike.com for $10 a piece. If you go to the store they're listed for $20, but they will honor the internet price if you mention it. I picked up 3 for a total of $30 + tax along with the 6 bolts for ~$5. Now I can carry 3 bikes and it cost me less than $40. I just use a ratchet strap through the rear tires of the bikes to secure them.

Here are some pics. You can see my neat wiring job for the lights too. I used over 30 zipties securing all the wiring :eek: All the wires are under the metal floor of the rack, so they will not be damaged by items in/on the rack.

BTW, if you're wondering why the fork mounts are angled, it is so that all the handle bars will clear eachother when mounted.
rack lights 014.jpg
rack lights 015.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom