Rack and pinion install help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While removing the rack and pinion I had to turn the steering wheel while getting the steering shaft loose. Now that I am about to install the new R&P I am unsure if the steering wheel is where it needs to be. Is there a fool proof way to “center” the steering wheel so I do not damage the clock spring?
Any advise would the appreciated.
Thanks

I assume you didn’t turn it much, probably not even a full revolution. Just Get the wheel as straight as you can and slide the sleeve over the shaft on the rack. Then count revolutions to full lock left and full lock right. In between will be center. Repeat if it’s off-center. I had to do this 4-5 times to get dead center. Readjust if necessary after you get an alignment.

Try as I did to the keep the wheel centered, the task is further confounded by knowing the rack is centered…I found removing the steering wheel and recentering it and the clocks spring is pretty easy.

When I took it to the alignment shop, I told them not to center the steering wheel, but to do the alignment with the rack centered (equal turns left and right), then when I got home I removed and centered the steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom