Racing BoarMonger in the Baja 1000 - Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
unfamedadventure.com
We're racing Boarmonger in the Baja 1000 | Vintage Class in November to raise money for a great Baja nonprofit, BuenaOndaProject.org

Here are the class specific regulations: no coil overs, must be normally aspirated OEM engine, original chassis, stock concept suspension, etc...

Any recommendations on suspension (brand? Setup?), tire size, gearing, and anything else you'd do? TYIA!

16DBCF7B-1933-4E21-B081-B0F7880E117F.jpeg

C755DC97-6CDC-48B6-AE81-F661F9567394.jpeg

814E54FF-11B5-4B9E-B7F9-73EF19354D95.jpeg

Has an FJ55 ever raced in the Baja??
I’m going to watch this thread.

Buy a pos and race that. You will destroy the one you have and it looks too nice! REALLY, it sounds fun and all but your FJ55 will never be the same.

Buy a pos and race that. You will destroy the one you have and it looks too nice! REALLY, it sounds fun and all but your FJ55 will never be the same.
Yeah man. I hear you. Definitely risk of that. The Baja is also a good excuse to invest in getting it running well and getting it off-road worthy quickly. And it's for a great cause.

Engine is being rebuilt now. Don't know if I would've done that without the race as a motive.

Yeah man. I hear you. Definitely risk of that. The Baja is also a good excuse to invest in getting it running well and getting it off-road worthy quickly. And it's for a great cause.

Engine is being rebuilt now. Don't know if I would've done that without the race as a motive.
You’ll be thousands, no, tens of thousands of dollars ahead by buying someone's VW bug that is setup for the race. Buy it, do your own race prep, and go have a Once in a lifetime experience. Im sure you have an emotional attachment to the pig, but it is not the right vehicle.

Im sure you have an emotional attachment to the pig, but it is not the right vehicle.
Baloney.
Run what ya bring. A 55 can do anything a 40 can do while looking better and carrying more beer.
Can you do an SOA on your race Pig? Add longer springs, maybe an extra leaf or 2. Got power steering? Hoop your front upper shock mounts, reinforce the lower. Balance the rotating engine bits. Run 37s. Lock your diffs. A fresh F can turn 37s, but you might regear to I don't know what ratio. How fast do you want to go? Disc brakes.
Big plastic radiator fan. Mark A. Or Jim C. Carb.
Front diff armor.
I'll think of more in a minute. Good luck.

Edit: lose the mudflaps

Last edited:
Baloney.
Run what ya bring. A 55 can do anything a 40 can do while looking better and carrying more beer.
Can you do an SOA on your race Pig? Add longer springs, maybe an extra leaf or 2. Got power steering? Hoop your front upper shock mounts, reinforce the lower. Balance the rotating engine bits. Run 37s. Lock your diffs. A fresh F can turn 37s, but you might regear to I don't know what ratio. How fast do you want to go? Disc brakes.
Big plastic radiator fan. Mark A. Or Jim C. Carb.
Front diff armor.
I'll think of more in a minute. Good luck.
Hahahahaha. Well, I wouldn't consider a leaf sprung 40 for racing the Baja either. I'd rather just NOT race it than select the wrong tool for the job. I get it though, to each their own. How many other racers are going to be racing a toyota truck that may be able to assist with spare parts? Likely Zero. How many in a bug? Likely a bunch, maybe on the order of magnitude of 100's. Racers are cool folks and always willing to help out another racer in need. But they can't help you if your in an FJ55 and your sector shaft on our power steering box broke, or you your pinon gear is missing all its toofs.

I like to go fast in the desert as well as crawl on the rocks. Right tool for right job.

157.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom