Builds R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can also upgrade to waterproof LED light strip and run it along the entire length, tucked up high under the rock sliders. That'll give you great puddle lights at night and avoid what happened to me one time.
Story time...
We were up in Lake Tahoe in the winter with our old Toyota Previa (all-wheel-drive) van with lots of snow. I got in and started to drive away. As soon as the heater came on there was this terrible smell, something like doggy poop. Just got worse as it warmed up. Pulled over and had to turn on the interior lights. On the drivers floor mat and ON my feet, there "it" was. I must have stepped into "it" just before climbing into the van. If I had puddle lights, I would have seen that snow sausage and avoided the consequences.

To everyone who has cut their side steps.. What did you all do with your side step lights?
The shop that installed mine completely removed them. I need to either get a new set of the oem ones or wire up some rock lights to mount to the sliders.

The shop that installed mine completely removed them. I need to either get a new set of the oem ones or wire up some rock lights to mount to the sliders.
Just get a roll of this and cable tie it up high in your sliders! Cheap and ton's of lumens! They're already 12 VDC too!
Amazon product ASIN B0998T559X

Been off grid for a few days with my wife. Just had to get out of the "May Gray and June Gloom" and into some high country.
For those of you not familiar with California weather, quite often during the months of May and June we get this awful marine layer along the coast that is just a matte gray. No sun, no shadows, no clouds, it's not fog or smog. Just a very dull matte gray. Depressing...
So on that note, just had to bust out for a couple of days.
This is what the lower elevations look like along the coast as we're above this marine layer. You can see one of our local mountain peaks just above it in the back ground.
2022-05-27_13-39-21_256.jpg

2022-05-27_13-38-59_638.jpg

But at 7200 foot elevation!
20220527_171910.jpg
20220527_172551.jpg
2022-05-27_15-15-15_030.jpg

Except for the political climate, just gotta love California for it's diverse geography.

Headed up to our local mountains (Big Bear) again last weekend, but with our 4x4 club.
Had a couple of friends (newlyweds hubby and wife) from church that were going to go do some hiking up in the same area in Big Bear and found out what we were going 4 wheel'n and quoting her, "Would you mind a couple of stowaways for off roading for the day?"
So we invited them to come along! I let each of them drive a little on the trails and they LOVED it!! Presently they only have a couple of compact econo boxes for cars.
After the trip, the guy was all over about wanting to get an off road capable vehicle! At church the next day I found out after they got home he got on the computer looking at off road vehicles!
Here are some pic's of our day:
Aring down. Okay, no jokes about my big butt!! :rofl:
1655396805460.png

Some of the club members rigs. Note we had some some beginner vehicles so it was a pretty easy run that day.
1655396929829.png

1655396955644.png

Old cabin by a small lake, near Big Bear lake.
1655397024124.png

1655397041018.png

A few pic's of the lake:
1655397145837.png

1655397170400.png
1655397201585.png
1655397224539.png

love it. looks beautiful there

Reactions: r2m
Boy, I have it ALL wrong about how to set up my rig for overlanding! I should have gone with Ford's idea for the Country Squire wagon they had back in 1959!
The roof top tent even doubles as a BOAT!!! How cool is that! (just needs 4x4...)
1655435247218.png

Boy, I have it ALL wrong about how to set up my rig for overlanding! I should have gone with Ford's idea for the Country Squire wagon they had back in 1959!
The roof top tent even doubles as a BOAT!!! How cool is that! (just needs 4x4...)
View attachment 3036185
Reminds me of the Toyota RV-2¡

7434ac38f5ff6bcb25d274d475baefb7.jpg

That’s pretty neat actually.

Reactions: r2m
WANT!!!!! Put a PHEV system in it and I’ll buy it. Do any of these exist?
It was only a concept so idk if any examples other than this one were ever made. Pretty neat though.

It was only a concept so idk if any examples other than this one were ever made. Pretty neat though.
Bummer. It would sell today. lol

Bleak or not, at least your out there enjoying it!
Good on ya mate!

No doubt!! That was my maiden voyage to see what 2wd and a TruTrac locker can really do. I was afraid to go any farther. I'm very fortunate to have pre ran almost every jeep trail and single track in Big Bear on my KTM 300 and Beta dual sport. So I know which ones tear up vehicles. I'm a very simplistic dude when camping minimalist yet comfortable sleeping arrangement. No matter what rig I take I got my camp gear ready to load and go.

No doubt!! That was my maiden voyage to see what 2wd and a TruTrac locker can really do. I was afraid to go any farther. I'm very fortunate to have pre ran almost every jeep trail and single track in Big Bear on my KTM 300 and Beta dual sport. So I know which ones tear up vehicles. I'm a very simplistic dude when camping minimalist yet comfortable sleeping arrangement. No matter what rig I take I got my camp gear ready to load and go.
You can get pretty far with a locked 2wd. Really good for developing driver skills, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom