Builds R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And finally a couple of pics of the "Race Track" If you don't know what it is, look it up. It's in Death Valley. Very interesting phenomenon.
2020-03-01_12-16-48_576.jpeg

Look closely and you can see the trails the rocks make.
2020-03-01_12-23-34_401.jpeg
2020-03-01_12-21-37_614.jpeg

Looks like a great time! Is the road still insanely washboarded from Teakettle to racetrack? Last time I drove through there (May 2019) it was probably the worst washboards I've ever driven.

Looks like a great time! Is the road still insanely washboarded from Teakettle to racetrack? Last time I drove through there (May 2019) it was probably the worst washboards I've ever driven.
YES!!!!
I busted my upper control arm bushing clean off! It's in the shop now getting new bushings ($325.00 parts and labor).
After it happened my steering was clocked at about 1:00 position and I would get torque steer. It still tracked straight and everything else was fine except the steering wheel and torque steer.

SSO is selling a Washer Bottle Reservoir cover for the exposed tanks with bumpers and lifts. I assume this 4R model will fit a 460 as well.

ce7a8297_2_500x325_33cf190f9c0a1e79275849e42f7a0576883fd9b2.jpg

SSO is selling a Washer Bottle Reservoir cover for the exposed tanks with bumpers and lifts. I assume this 4R model will fit a 460 as well.

AWESOME!!
Thank you VERY much! I'm having to be a little fiscally frugal right now because of how things are, but I really appreciate you tagging me on that!
If it works and I get it, I'll owe you a brew if you ever want to warm yourself down here in So. Cal!

Yesterday I emailed SSO regarding fitment. Looking at how much it costs, I just may pull the trigger and get it if they come back saying it'll work on my rig.

No. Below is the contents of his email to me:
Richard

I believe this will work for you. Please let me know if you have any other questions

Washer Bottle Reservoir Cover – Southern Style OffRoad

Jerry Bennett
Sales Manager
Southern Style Offroad
225-726-7979

Pretty craptastic web page if you ask me. Without seeing on on a 4 Runner I'd be concerned on fitment to the GX to see if the reservoir is the same.

PN: 8531535340 - Same washer bottle for 4R and 460 (without headlight washer)

4R

460 version without headlight washer (10-19)

PN: 8531535340 - Same washer bottle for 4R and 460 (without headlight washer)

4R

460 version without headlight washer (10-19)

So with a no go for me, I have the head light washer, assuming the SSO cover is for the without head light washer.

Well, for $49.00 if it doesn't work I won't feel so bad, and assuming I don't scratch it all up mounting it, I should be able to return it.

Just ordered some trim to take care of a small thorn in my side... The gap between the MetalTech front bumper and fenders.
There has always been a wee bit of a gap even when new, but it opened up more with off roading and bouncing off rocks.
This is the left side with the orginal trim still on. Look closely and you can see it.
20200613_103201.jpg

This is the right side without the trim. Note much larger gap!
20200613_103210.jpg

The next two pictures are with the new trim molding I just purchased.
20200613_105906.jpg

20200613_105923.jpg

AND yes, the right side is skewed in a little bit from rocks, but can't do anything about that. Brackets are bent and can't be straighten.

The following pictures are the trim I purchased from Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B07KY3WXTQIt's really nice because of the extra round rubber cushion. It gap fills AND adds a little buffer if the bumper gets flexed into the fender.
So if you have an annoying gap with your bumpers, this will do the trick!
20200613_110010.jpg

20200613_110013.jpg

This post is about the 3000 watt (yes three thousand watt, max 6000 watt) inverter I added. The purpose of this inverter is that when I go camping I like to cut and split my own fire wood from felled trees in the area (Note: except not on California state land, that's a no-no... Only BLM land can I do that here.) I used to carry a chain saw all the time along with my axes (NO I'm not some crazy murderer!!) but there would be times I may not camp for a year of more. Needless to say what old gas does to an engine. I also was tired of the smell in my rig, spills, not always starting right away, especially at high altitudes and all the other issues with gas powered tools. So I decided to go electric. No gas and instant on every time! Just pull the trigger! Just needs a little bar lube. Also I never cut wood further than 100 feet from my rig so a 100 foot extension cord is all I need.
This is the inverter, cable and circuit breaker:
Here's the chain saw:
This is the extension cord (it needed to be heavy gauge for that distance and amperage of saw):
I didn't know where I wanted to mount the inverter. I didn't want to loose the ability to used my third row seats so there wasn't a lot of options for that brick! I decided to used hook and loop (Velcro) and did a couple of experiments to test the holding strength. Here it is Velcroed to the back of the passenger side third seat. The photos show the seat in the up and the down position.
Back to the Velcro, trust me, the Velcro "hook" tape that I attached to the entire length of the mounting flange on the inverter (both sides) attached SO STRONG to the factory carpet that I CANNOT pull it up. The "tensile" strength to pull the inverter vertically up WILL tear the carpet up from the base. I tried and it was beginning to pull from the base. The "shear" strength is equally as strong. It CANNOT be budged in any X or Y position! In order for me to move the inverter I have to take a putty knife and slide it between the Velcro hook (on the inverter) and the carpet to release it.
This works great for me in that I can move and situate as needed for space in the rear!
Just an FYI, I ran this off my "House" battery. I have dual batteries.

Here's how I ran that 1/0 AWG wire from the rear:
I ran the 1/0 AWG from the rear forward. From the rear open cargo area with the rear seats down, I started the wire through the cubby where the factory bottle jack is kept (left rear). I then fed it under the rear seats and out through a port under the rear of the vehicle that has a rubber plug that is about 2" diameter. There's a picture below in this post.
After pulling all the wire through that port, I snaked it up and over to my left rock slider. I fed it over the top of the (perpendicular to the slider) mounts that the slider attaches to the frame. This will keep it from ever sagging or ever being pinched in a off roading event. I then pulled up through the left side the engine bay, as close to the ARB compressor as possible to avoid any exhaust heat on the wires. And from there to the batteries!

Third row seat up:
View attachment 1908211
Third row seat down:
View attachment 1908212
This is where I came in with the juice:
View attachment 1908215
Below shows the port under the rear seats that I fed the 1/0 AWG wire through. I cut the rubber plug for the wire, placed the plug back in and then silicone all around it so if I should be in deep water, I'm not drawing water in. The view is looking forward. Thw red and black wires on the left are what I'm referring to.
View attachment 2073731

Same issue with our side-x-sides up at the property we put $90 greenworks chainsaws in them and can cut for a very long time, seems like hrs of battery, but probably 45 minutes solid. Enough to clear miles of trails. I have cut a 16 inch tree trunk in half so the excavator could haul it out. Cuts 8 inch "all day long"

Check it out perfect for the car too and small. Dang price jumped since last August.
Amazon product ASIN B00LK2MGEA
I have a second set of tools up there an they are Ryobi bc it sucked to forget a tool and Ryobi was cheap, long story short the Ryobi battery chain saw sucks, get greenworks 100%

Last edited:

Seems like you could just bend some 1/16" steel in a vise may not be as pretty and just wrap around but that doesn't look that stout. Maybe 1/16", then again a stick prob won't ruin it, so homemade will probably be just as good esp 1/8 aluminium bent. It won't have as many angles of protection, but a wrap around should do it.

I like the trim. I'm going to have the same issue when I get my bumper back from powder coating and installed next week.

I can confirm that the SSO washer bottle cover does fit on my 2013. I don't have headlight washers and i
IMG_3445.jpg
IMG_3444.jpg
t fits over the body mount and is secured by the body mount bolt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom