R2.8 Cummins perspective from Diesel Toys in San Antonio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ceylonfj40nut

Waiting for Barn Time
SILVER Star
Threads
Noted. I shall I don’t know much about them. Their Chinesium component perspective caught my attention is all.

Their comments about the Foton Tunland are bang on the money.. buyers in Australia have had terrible experiences with the R2.8 in that vehicle.

I wish I could say good things about Diesel Toys, especially since they are 2 miles from my house but I don't have anything good to share.

That being said, I still think Todd's report on the R2.8 is worth reading and is informative.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the ISF2.8 and the R2.8 are classified as different motors, the former made in China and used in the Foton Tunland and the later made in the US.

That’s not to say they are any different in design or construction, or that quality is inherent to where the motor is made...

Their comments about the Foton Tunland are bang on the money.. buyers in Australia have had terrible experiences with the R2.8 in that vehicle.

Anything called a Tunland was doomed from the start. The Chinese need Westerners to choose names for models sold outside of PRC.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the ISF2.8 and the R2.8 are classified as different motors, the former made in China and used in the Foton Tunland and the later made in the US.

That’s not to say they are any different in design or construction, or that quality is inherent to where the motor is made

Some info here about assembly locations and problems. I often urged caution on buying a new and unproved engine from the PRC.
Just how many hi tech diesel, good power to weight ratio, turbocharged , common rail injected engines has China built in the past?

Cummins R2.8 Engine (ISF2.8) specs, problems, reliability, oil, Crate engine

The ISF2.8 is built and assembled in China. Cummins says what the ISF2.8 engine has 300,000 miles (500,000 km) longevity. But in reality, this engine has a terrible reputation on the Asian market because of low-quality assembling and materials. The most common failure of this engine is a quick wearing of cylinder walls. As a result, increased oil consumption. The next problem is bad connecting rod bearings damaging a crankshaft. Besides that, the engine easily overheats. There is a high risk of coolant penetration inside cylinders. The list goes on and on. The ISF 2.8 engine meets Euro 3, Euro 4 emission standards, depending on modifications.

The R2.8 is built in the Cummins factory in Columbus, Indiana (500 engines in 2017) and carries a 90-day warranty only. They use engine blocks machined at Cummins’s Chinese plant. The crate R2.8 engine meets EPA’s Tier 0 (LDT 1 and 2) and Tier 1 emissions standards. In this case, it is suitable only for vehicles produced until 1999.

Last edited:
Why is it that the new crate (repower) R2.8 only has a 90 day warranty while the new crate mechanical 4BT has 12 month, unlimited mileage warranty?

Kind of hard to accept considering the 4BT appears to be cheaper also but that could be due to less accessories included in the package.

Why is it that the new crate (repower) R2.8 only has a 90 day warranty while the new crate mechanical 4BT has 12 month, unlimited mileage warranty?

Kind of hard to accept considering the 4BT appears to be cheaper also but that could be due to less accessories included in the package.
They're very different motors. 4bt is a fully mechanical diesel, the R2.8 is commonrail making it a lot more complex and therefore more expensive.

The 4BT has actually applications which the 2.8 does not. Maybe since the 2.8 is a custom install in all applications they don't trust installers 100% to offer a warranty. Is there any "Cummins authorized installers" yet?

Probably because everyone now knows the Chinese made engine blocks have low quality metals in the cyl bores.

I wish I could say good things about Diesel Toys, especially since they are 2 miles from my house but I don't have anything good to share.

That being said, I still think Todd's report on the R2.8 is worth reading and is informative.
Can you tell me more why there bad? I’m looking to do a diesel conversion and they seem to be a good source for the 1hd fte i want in my 80

I have never seen one of their conversions which is weird to me. I assume at least one person on MUD has one?

A lo of the Australian dealers have stopped selling them. Its not just the engine, but the gearboxes , electrical, brakes, air con and just about anything else that moves. And of top of that spares are few and far between.
They may get their act together in the future but they should have sorted this s*** out long before they started selling them.

One story from the Foton Tunland problems australia facebook page .

" I purchased my 2WD foton tunland in 2013 with 400km on the clock..When it hit 18,000km the piston blew out the side of the engine a foton dealership then replaced the engine and put a new one in..50,000km later the same problem has happend..My truck was serviced by foton dealership mechanics..I also had the problem of my headlights blowing only on the right hand side twice..To add to the problems the steering was clunking..The mechanics said lucky i took it in as it was only holding on by a few screws..I would not purchase another 1 again "

A lo of the Australian dealers have stopped selling them. Its not just the engine, but the gearboxes , electrical, brakes, air con and just about anything else that moves. And of top of that spares are few and far between.
They may get their act together in the future but they should have sorted this s*** out long before they started selling them.

One story from the Foton Tunland problems australia facebook page .

" I purchased my 2WD foton tunland in 2013 with 400km on the clock..When it hit 18,000km the piston blew out the side of the engine a foton dealership then replaced the engine and put a new one in..50,000km later the same problem has happend..My truck was serviced by foton dealership mechanics..I also had the problem of my headlights blowing only on the right hand side twice..To add to the problems the steering was clunking..The mechanics said lucky i took it in as it was only holding on by a few screws..I would not purchase another 1 again "

Gotta cut some corners to sell a ute for half price! They're clearing out the Tunlands here: Foton New Zealand - Official Site | 2x4 and 4x4 Utes, Vans, Trucks.

Can you tell me more why there bad? I’m looking to do a diesel conversion and they seem to be a good source for the 1hd fte i want in my 80

Contact @torfab in Washington State. They will take good care of you and ALL of your conversion needs.

Well I will chime in here, since quality is questioned. We have installed 6 of these engines, and have not encountered any issues. I even custom tuned mine and I run 414 torque at the rear wheels with 205hp. I'm not complaining, and it even gives me decent mileage with that tune. I currently have about 15k miles on my personal FJ62 with this engine in it.

Are there parts in stock , in the US for this engine? How do warranty claims work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom