R151F Front Output Toast on Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gidday team,

Was looking for a low speed rattle in my PZ70 and have tracked it down to what seems like a toasted front output shaft bearing on my transfer case. It was so wobbly I thought the prop shaft was going to just fall off in my hand.

Can't figure out how it has happened as I rarely actually use 4x4 in my daily driver. From what I'm reading it could be dud u joints e.t.c. but anyway... My query today is whether the front output shaft bearing can be replaced in situ?

From everything I can find, it looks like the whole t/case is going to have to come out, which of course means I may as well do a full overhaul but someone here may know a sneaky workaround that I can't yet see or comprehend.

It's a bit of a prick with cashflow at the moment but it's just one of those things to fix aye.

Cheers,
Kempy

Gidday team,

Was looking for a low speed rattle in my PZ70 and have tracked it down to what seems like a toasted front output shaft bearing on my transfer case. It was so wobbly I thought the prop shaft was going to just fall off in my hand.

Can't figure out how it has happened as I rarely actually use 4x4 in my daily driver. From what I'm reading it could be dud u joints e.t.c. but anyway... My query today is whether the front output shaft bearing can be replaced in situ?

From everything I can find, it looks like the whole t/case is going to have to come out, which of course means I may as well do a full overhaul but someone here may know a sneaky workaround that I can't yet see or comprehend.

It's a bit of a prick with cashflow at the moment but it's just one of those things to fix aye.

Cheers,
Kempy

I had the same issue on mine. Front was very knotchy. You can pull the prop shaft and you should be able to tighten that nut up if it’s really loose on the tcase. My guess is the whole case needs a rebuild.

It’s not that hard or that expensive really and is the right answer.

My prop shaft was shot also which stumped me as to why the slip was worn and joints on the front, but Rear was fine and all believed to be original. My theory is that if 4WD isn't used a lot, that front d-shaft is just rubbing and compressing on the same spot over every bump, turn etc. Over time that just wears it down in that one spot causing issues. Could be a bad guess, but seems legit to me.

Sounds like a plausible theory to me.

I did pull the shaft and have a look inside the other day. The bearing definitely isn't as smooth as it should be but still rotates well. Gave everything a quick clean and a bit of anaerobic sealer on the splines... Treated like I would a diff pinion but probably not very effective. Retightened the stake nut. Everything still a bit loosey goosey but the low speed rattled has shut up a bit which is all I was worried about to start.

The front drive shaft is certainly looking a bit knackered at the slip. It compressed far too easily for my liking when removed. Tried pumping some grease in and the grease just came straight out the centre of the driveshaft at the forward u joint, so the grease ain't going into the driveshaft itself. Haven't clarified if that's the norm for the front compared to back though.

My only other query if anyone knows... If the seal at the front t/case output flange now has a leak because of all this. Will the entire transmission and tcase be draining out of that point or is there a divider internally somewhere that would atleast stem the flow?

My concern at the moment is whether the oil has been draining out unstoppably and I haven't noticed. Judging by the splatter on the tcase there has been minimal leakage. Currently can't source any 75w90 due to supply issues. Apparently the oil producers can't get the right additives for the mix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom