R141 swap to R151 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
trucks in question
1995 PZJ75
1991 PZJ70

reason:
the PZJ75 comes factory with a R141 tranny which has the exact gear ratios of the coveted H41 and the PZJ70 has the 4.3 1st gear. this will give a greater crawl ratio especially when coupled with a 2.3 t/case gear swap. the difference from stock crawl ratio which is 34.6/1 to the new crawl ratio of 45.3/1 which works very well in the hills around here. (if i swap the diff gears from the PZJ75 (4.56) to the PZJ70 (4.11) then the crawl ratio will drop again to 50.3/1)

i am running 35" tractor tires that once they get grip can take quite a bit of power to turn them. if i do go with a rear locker then i would be taxing the stock drive setup. I have not run out of power at any time but the "feel" is not what i am used to.

it should have been a bolt and play but as usual this is not quite the case.

the PZJ70 has the vacum shift and the PZJ75 is a manual shift so the t/case front halfs need to be swapped out. since i was tearing into the t/cases anyway i had located a 2 piece t/case with the larger idler shaft with the 2.3 gearing.

once the tranny t/case combos were both sitting on the floor on their noses i started to compare the 2 for swapability. the t/case shifter tapped holes were there. the shift gate holes where there and i though at first we were going to have to drill the bosses into the one tranny but a poke with a screw driver revealed that the hole was filled with mud... so everything is a go.

the t/case were disassembled and a comparrision was made between the 2 piece case on the "R" series trannies with the front half of the B/H series 2 piece case front halfs. the R series have 5 bolts through the front half to retain them to the R series trannies, the B/H series have 4 bolts retaining them to the H55F BUT the cases themselves are identicle except for the one hole. I used the front half of the R series case from the vacum shift on the R141 with the guts of the 2.3 (and new T/case rebuild kit) and the rear outter of the R series. it was a smooth swap to say the least.
do not forget to swap out the reverse gear sending unit (i am not sure if that is a 24V specific part or not).
swapping the manual shift t/case half onto the R151 was very straight forward, just a matter of transfering the parts over.

i havd not been inside the R series t/cases before so it was reassuring that the guts are interchangable. it would be interesting to know if the front case of the mini truck versions are simular bolting pattern. maybe one day i will have a chance to check that out. i am thinking a crawler box in a LJ71 would make quite the rig...

cheers and thanks for following along.

results of the swap:
the PZJ75 lost 4 seconds for 0-100, it now takes 20 seconds to accomplish. the 5th gear allows for a much more comfortable, quiet ride at the speed limit. the shift pattern lends itself nicely to the turbo'd engine and the 4.56 gears still turns the bigger meats nicely.
the PZJ70 now has the better crawl ratio and i highly suspect i won't miss the 5 th gear off road. those tractor tires max out at 80 km/hr anyway.

side note, after getting stuck in a clay hole for 3 hours your diffs, tranny/tcase gets a real ugly grey look to the fluid.

another side note is that the bell housing has a large vent hole at the top so if you plan on extended underwater driving then a custom vent tube would be recommended.

cheers

Wayne why not safe those 4.56 for your 70 series to help moving the tractor tires .. and starting use 2nd speed more than 1st.

Don't get my wrong .. low 1st is good, allow for sure more control up and downhills, but with 4.56 maybe you are availabre to use 2nd in long swamp situation where you need more speed on tires .. more displacement on terrain.

just my .0000002 cents ..

agreed but i am running 35s on the PZJ75 so the 4.56 works good there...
maybe i will try the swap later but only if i go back down in tire size...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom