R12 Charging Ports on FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know which port is the 'charging' port on and 88 fj62 compressor that is still r12. There are two shrader valves, one closest to to the engine(lower to the ground) and one furthest from the engine(higher from the ground).

Can anyone help so I don't connect the new r12 can the wrong valve.

Low side (what you are calling the charging port) is on the right, closest to the engine when standing in front of the truck.
Having sad that:
Are you trying to top off a poor performing system, starting from scratch or what? What has lead you to want to add freon? I'm asking because of common mistakes I see/hear being made and I'm assuming you are new at A/C work.

I am adding the r12 because the ac is just not blowing as cold as it should. let's say, when it is 90 out, it blows maybe 70. I had a tech look at it and he said it is cycling on and off properly and there were no detectable leaks, but he thought the older shrader valves were known to leak very slowly over time, so that could be a cause of the decreased cooling ability....I am not certain, but his recommendation was to first recharge it with 1 can of r12 and see if it improves....if it does, then it should be that it was low on refridgerant.

Are there some other tests you recommend me do to make sure I am sourcing the problem correctly?

I am adding the r12 because the ac is just not blowing as cold as it should. let's say, when it is 90 out, it blows maybe 70. I had a tech look at it and he said it is cycling on and off properly and there were no detectable leaks, but he thought the older shrader valves were known to leak very slowly over time, so that could be a cause of the decreased cooling ability....I am not certain, but his recommendation was to first recharge it with 1 can of r12 and see if it improves....if it does, then it should be that it was low on refridgerant.

Are there some other tests you recommend me do to make sure I am sourcing the problem correctly?

The above is not enough information to warrant adding refrigerant. You didn't mention pressures, so I assume the 'tech' didn't hook up a gauge manifold and measure them. Adding a can of freon is just one of several possible solutions to your problem.
What can it hurt, you may ask? Too much refrigerant can actually hurt performance, for one thing. It can also kill your compressor. Not to mention the dozen other problems that it could be that won't be corrected by adding refrigerant.
Automotive Air Conditioning Information Server: Home is one place where I learned how to properly fix my junk.

Edit: The Body and Chassis FSM also has a section covering the A/C which would of course be cruiser-specific information, just lacking any real theory.

Last edited:
x2 on Wilie.. he knows his stuff and has help me on my AC and fuel pump. I swapped over to R134 and have liked it. Its a good afternoon job and gives you a chance to clean out behind your dash. At least I had to damn near take apart the whole dash to get the evaporator out. Glad I did though because it needed cleaning.

On the swap I did have a hard time finding the correct R134 high pressure conversion port thing. Had to modify one but cutting it down so that the needle would depress when I put on my gauges. But then I'm cheap and rarely buy OEM or FJ specific stuff from the main suppliers.

My R12 was leaking from one of the fittings coming out of the condenser. So probably could have just fixed and recharge with R12 but locally I have to take it to a shop for that and I am done having anyone else work on my rig.

Buy some gauges, switch over to 134A (only new part outside of O rings I bought was the dryer) and save yourself some money.

Thanks Willie & HB....maybe I was not getting some really good advice from the tech I took it too. He did not hook it up to gauges to test pressures, so that explains a lot....I will follow the guide you linked up to source the actual issue rather than throwing coolant at it.

Thanks again.

The above is not enough information to warrant adding refrigerant. You didn't mention pressures, so I assume the 'tech' didn't hook up a gauge manifold and measure them. Adding a can of freon is just one of several possible solutions to your problem.
What can it hurt, you may ask? Too much refrigerant can actually hurt performance, for one thing. It can also kill your compressor. Not to mention the dozen other problems that it could be that won't be corrected by adding refrigerant.
Automotive Air Conditioning Information Server: Home is one place where I learned how to properly fix my junk.

Edit: The Body and Chassis FSM also has a section covering the A/C which would of course be cruiser-specific information, just lacking any real theory.
Quick question on my fj62 ac compressor it seems like my high and low side are two different sizes I tried hooking up a manifold gauge set and it didn’t fit on the high side only the low side ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom