R & R tranny this weekend, what am i missing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hopefully putting my sm465 in the 40 this weekend.
the tranny came with a A A adapter that is about 6" long for the t-case.
got a 3spd bell housing
4spd pres. plate
sm465 disc that's 11"(looks like it will work no prob)
3spd t-case reinforcement plate( thanx poser, hope it gets here in the next two dayz ;) )
pilot bearing i still need.

ONE QUESTION:

am i going to be able to still use the vacume actuator for the t-case?
since the adapter from trans to t-case is the old school AA adapter thats 6" long!
i know i'll have to modify the vacume lines, but is there going to be room under the floor pan for the actuator? (ok, two questions)
all replys are welcome

thanx
jim

projektdotnet said:
Well I have no idea personally so here's a bump in hope someone else knows

"ROMER STYLE"

now thats funny :D

thanx

You are stuffing the v8 in there right?

You are missing a 500 lb gorilla to lift that badboy. That was the hardest part of my swap. I couldn't fit the tranny under my LC on the trannyjack I had. A real bugger to lift off your chest. Also don't forget to change the bearing retainer bolts for Capheads and turndown the beraring retainer to fit hole in Bellhouseing. Also workout your T-case shift - tranny plate before you put it in if you use a floor shifter.

Mace said:
You are stuffing the v8 in there right?

NO, thats the 60. stuffing it behind a 2f
this is the 40.
i thought i saw someone post up that if your t-case gets moved back, that the vacume diaphram hits under the floor board.
i want to keep the vac shift feature..:cool:
the sm465 has a old school AA adapter

You are missing a 500 lb gorilla to lift that badboy

engine hoist ;)

I'm not sure about moving it back 6". Your gonna have to move the crossmember and you'll have to clear some of the floorboard and hump if the adapter doesn't clock the t-case down a bit.

My SM420 and 1" plate adapter required some reworking of the floor boards and tunnel (which I'm still reworking). I original cut the rear motor mounts bushings in half to make fit but that's not a real good plan IMO.

You could always add a 1/2" or 1" body lift which should help everything but the crossmember.

Post pics and let us know how it goes.

66fj40x2 said:
I'm not sure about moving it back 6". Your gonna have to move the crossmember and you'll have to clear some of the floorboard and hump if the adapter doesn't clock the t-case down a bit.

My SM420 and 1" plate adapter required some reworking of the floor boards and tunnel (which I'm still reworking). I original cut the rear motor mounts bushings in half to make fit but that's not a real good plan IMO.

You could always add a 1/2" or 1" body lift which should help everything but the crossmember.

Post pics and let us know how it goes.

will definitly post pics

i'll post a pic of the tranny with the adapter, it will give y'all a good idea of what i'm talkin bout.

jim

I failed to notice "beer' in your parts list, so I can only predict that this project will be a failure. Carry on :flipoff2:

IanB said:
I failed to notice "beer' in your parts list, so I can only predict that this project will be a failure. Carry on :flipoff2:

( in a curly howard voice 3 stooges)

oh, wise guy huh!! yuk, yuk, yuk,

ok, just for grins.
here's the trans with the adapter
lookin last night i think i have room for the actuator, but its the linkage on top of the t-case i'll have to deal with...

thanx all
jim
DSC00589.JPG
DSC00590.JPG
DSC00591.JPG

Honestly I really think getting the vacuum stuff to work is the least of your worries, like said above x-member will be a B, and talk about short D-shaft. I'm still running the vacuum switch with my sm420 if you didn't remember, I didn't have to change anything. I did lengthen my rod for hi low like 3", no big deal. Worst case is you have to cut more stuff out of the way. There are some body supporting channels that you will prolly run into.

bustanutley said:
Honestly I really think getting the vacuum stuff to work is the least of your worries, like said above x-member will be a B, and talk about short D-shaft. I'm still running the vacuum switch with my sm420 if you didn't remember, I didn't have to change anything. I did lengthen my rod for hi low like 3", no big deal. Worst case is you have to cut more stuff out of the way. There are some body supporting channels that you will prolly run into.

yup!
x-member and body supports.
aint nothin a welder and some tube wont take care of ;)

anyone feel like comin down to castle rock tomorrow? ;)

i would be happy to help if you buy me a tank of gas... castle rock is a long ways from salida.
hope all goes well, carl 607-227-9585

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom