Builds R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You need to go into PREFERENCES - GENERAL - PROMPT FOR ECU

I also have “Prompt” selected in the Vehicle editor network selection area

This will prompt you for network at connection to vehicle

This should reduce steps to

>back out of the gauges
>disconnect from the dongle
<hit connect to reconnect to the dongle
>select the network you want
>then select "Dashboard" which is the gauges.
I couldn't find:
PREFERENCES - GENERAL - PROMPT FOR ECU
But was able to do the "Prompt" in the Vehicle Editor Network Selection section.
When I go out to my vehicle later, I'll see how that works.
Buy, yeah, even having to the reduced steps you have listed are about 4 steps too many to change networks, especially when one is driving and trying to keep an eye on the road.
Thanks for the help Acrad!

Networks are listed as follows with OBD Link..not sure if different today but found the cheap ELM327 adapters years back could access the TPMS ECU… I had to obtain a legitimate ELM327 chipset from a vendor in Romania IIRC.

I’ll post a screenshot of that other setting… might be difference between IOS and Android version of OBD Link

img_1221_f8b6d8b436a9a37cdaf4df8660ac717750a2873f.png
img_1222_1d2aba84cc45794049ff11258afbac70e8e4037c.png

Networks are listed as follows with OBD Link..not sure if different today but found the cheap ELM327 adapters years back could access the TPMS ECU… I had to obtain a legitimate ELM327 chipset from a vendor in Romania IIRC.

I’ll post a screenshot of that other setting… might be difference between IOS and Android version of OBD Link

img_1221_f8b6d8b436a9a37cdaf4df8660ac717750a2873f.png
img_1222_1d2aba84cc45794049ff11258afbac70e8e4037c.png
Thanks! I found that you can do a search of ALL the PIDs available across all the networks. Example, if I type in "temperature" I will get every instance of temperature and what network, if it's any coolant temperature's it'll show them being in Network A, and it'll show the tire temperature's in the Tire Pressure Monitor network.
It's a handy tool, but still doesn't get me to where I want to be.
But you're suggestion before about asking which network very time I connect will work well enough.
Like I said before, they really need to revamp their GUI.

I shot off a support request to developer but looking around it may be that Scangauge taps into pin 7 (K-Line) to allow for simultaneous TPMS and Other networks.

Just speculation at this point… I do know I have no issue reading all things with Techstream at the same time… but also know on my 460 I had to leverage a 2.04 firmware cable supporting K-Line to get “live“ data readouts from my vehicle. The 1.4.x cables wouldn’t give me live data. K-line is an old protocol from what I read.

Reactions: r2m
Quick support.. they responded to me in less than an hour.

This is an application limitation that they may address in a future release. In the meantime they say other apps do not have this limitation when used with the adapter.

@r2m you might see if you can get all PIDs to work in something like Torque Pro or other apps

Quick support.. they responded to me in less than an hour.
This is an application limitation that they may address in a future release. In the meantime they say other apps do not have this limitation when used with the adapter.
@r2m you might see if you can get all PIDs to work in something like Torque Pro or other apps
I have Torque Pro, but was never able to see the TPMS PIDs in the settings, so I uninstalled it.
I may have to reinstall it and look again, sitting in my rig when it's connected.
Are you using the MX+?
Really appreciate your research and input Acrad!

Last edited:
After the second time of bashing the tail pipe/resonator forward so the hoop over the rear axle pinches off exhaust, I finally took care of it once and for all. 🤞
I just removed the entire resonator/tail pipe and had a muffler shop weld a short down spout right after the muffler.
It was either spend another $400.00 at the Lexus dealership for a new resonator and pipe and but it on myself or spend $45.00 and have this done. No brainer...
How's the old saying go? Burn me once shame on me, burn me twice shame on you??
Now my rig breathes easier without the pinched exhaust and should improve the mpg too.
Also, no noticeable noise difference, either cruising or throttling it a little. Albeit, that was just the short ride from the muffler shop back to my office.
I'll keep you all posted if anything changes relating to odd noises, humming or droning without the resonator.
20230127_125146.jpg

Last edited:
I think I have OBDLink working.
I reset the dongle, removed and reinstalled the app on my phone. I traveled to and from my office (last night and this morning).
Started everything over again.
It worked! With TPMS!
Now I'm curious what all gauges you run on yours?
This is what I currently have displayed over several pages of gauges:
  • Vehicle Speed (corrected speed)
  • All 5 tire pressure
  • All 5 tire temperature
  • A/T oil temp 1
  • A/T oil temp 2
  • Coolant temp
  • Engine oil temp
  • Battery voltage
Anything else that one should probably have handy to look at?
What do you all have and why?

Live approximate fuel left in vehicle

Fuel Input

PID-> Toyota, Lexus, Scion -> Combination Meter -> Fuel Input

IMG_4869.PNG

that's a great gauge to have displayed! I'm adding it. Better than miles to go, since my tire size makes that calculation not very accurate!
Wonder if it actually and acutely measures down to the hundredth when getting down to fumes.

Also, I still have my old Galaxy Note 8 which I'm going to try loading with OBDLink and see if I can show my TPMS on that while showing the engine stats on my current phone.
Wonder if OBDLink can link to two devices AND have two networks working at the same time?
Hummm. :hmm:

I'll keep ya posted.

Last edited:
Loaded the OBDLink app on my old Note 8, went out to my vehicle and paired it.
Then tried to pair both the Note 8 and my current Note 20 at the same time.
No-go...
Whichever one picks up the dongles single first will connect.

So now I'm switching gears. I'm thinking about using the old Note 8 as a dedicated display with OBDLinnk!
It may work well on a few levels:
  1. It's a considerably smaller screen than my huge Note 20 and I don't need that much real estate for viewing digital numbers if they're large enough, and I can make the gauges any size I need.
  2. I don't need a phone card in it, just the GPS that's already in it and the info from the OBDLink dongle.
  3. Just need a dedicated power cord.
  4. It'll allow me to keep my phones screen open for Google Maps, Pandora/Spotify or anything else I need displayed while driving. I won't have to be futzing between screens and displays while on the road.
Only down sides are trying to find a place to mount it that doesn't interfere with vents, knobs, dials, or other screens (HAM radio, infotainment and primary phone).
I guess it'll be kind of like Scangauge, except, as mentioned above, only one type of data at a time. Either tire pressures and temps, or engine data.
Other down side is, not sure just how long this phone may last. I originally purchased my current phone because the battery on this phone was seriously bulging and cracking the case open. It's all back to normal now, but I had to use clear packing tape wrapped around it to hold it together, and still use the screen back then.
So I'm hoping it stays together. If not, maybe find a cheap old phone?

This is what I've come up with. Here's a pic with my old phone with very strong double stack silicone tape attached to my binnacle. It's powered (plugged) into the second USB in the ashtray cigarette socket. Also, the phone is in a soft rubbery case. The case is what's stuck to the binnacle, so it's easy to remove the phone if necessary. I'm going to roll with this and see how it works for a while. I really like having my REAL speed posted without having to look down at my phone to the right of my console.

I can easily flip between screens and networks, albeit I'll have to disconnect, select network and reconnect. I also shouldn't have any issues with glare.
My only concern is if there are any warning lights that may be covered that I may miss if a code is thrown.
But I can see in an instant my speed, rpm, trans and coolant temps, battery voltage. Pretty much the important stuff.
Then I can change over to TPMS when on the trail. That screen also has speed.
The pic doesn't show it, but I can see my mileage. It just peeks up behind it, but visible.
20230129_161852.jpg

Anybody ever have this happen?
I parked, turned off the engine, hopped out, standing next to the drivers door and touched the door handle to lock... and then a loooong beep.
I got back in the drivers seat and there was a message on the binnacle that said my keys were still in the vehicle!
Checked my pocket. Yep they were still in my pocket, which means when I was out of the car, the keys too were out of the car. The spare fob I keep hidden does not have a battery in it.
Got out, shut the drivers door and touched the door handle again to lock and all was good. Hummm. :hmm:

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong and everything seems to be fine now, but that was a very weird experience that I've never had or heard of before, hence I'm asking you all if it's happened to anyone else.

I parked, turned off the engine, hopped out, standing next to the drivers door and touched the door handle to lock... and then a loooong beep.
I got back in the drivers seat and there was a message on the binnacle that said my keys were still in the vehicle!
Checked my pocket. Yep they were still in my pocket, which means when I was out of the car, the keys too were out of the car. The spare fob I keep hidden does not have a battery in it.
Got out, shut the drivers door and touched the door handle again to lock and all was good. Hummm. :hmm:

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong and everything seems to be fine now, but that was a very weird experience that I've never had or heard of before, hence I'm asking you all if it's happened to anyone else.
Only time I recall that long beep is when a door isnt shut completely.
Happens to me on my rear swingout. For whatever reason, I dont completely close it pretty regularly.

Wow strange. Like @FJlandCruiser said, maybe it was the door position?

Well this is an interesting twist:
Is it to be a cheaper uni-body citified version of the Landcruiser or Sequoia? It's an interesting size. Wonder if the Lexus division will be looking at how sales go with this model.

Is it to be a cheaper uni-body citified version of the Landcruiser or Sequoia? It's an interesting size. Wonder if the Lexus division will be looking at how sales go with this model.
Meh, just another 3 row box.

Toyota is going to sell a gazillion of these. Isn't the upcoming Lexus TX the Lexus-fied version of this already?

Toyota is going to sell a gazillion of these. Isn't the upcoming Lexus TX the Lexus-fied version of this already?
Haven't heard about the Lexus TeXas version yet.

I'd buy one of the Lexus ones as a grocery getter and kid hauler. IF I didn't love my GX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom