quite a dilemna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '87 FJ60 is running on 3 cylinders! So I need to decide whether to rebuild, drop in a new engine, or upgrade to a FJ80. Any thoughts?

We could tell you just about anything with a question like that. How good is the rest of the rig? If it is immaculate, then I would lean toward fixing it up. If it is an overall dog, you probably would be better off starting over with whatever suits your fancy. An engine fix on your rig (doing the engine removal and replacement) could cost as little as $1K with a used engine or as much as $10K+ with a diesel. Give us more guidance.

haha well the rest of the rig is pretty decent, no major rust, recent paint job. It's definitely not immaculate, but it's my baby. Is there a site for cheap engines? i found a korean manufacturer a few months ago with a new 2f for $1800, but I can't find it again. What are the pro's and con's of an 80?

haha well the rest of the rig is pretty decent, no major rust, recent paint job. It's definitely not immaculate, but it's my baby. Is there a site for cheap engines? i found a korean manufacturer a few months ago with a new 2f for $1800, but I can't find it again. What are the pro's and con's of an 80?

Hmm ok....

small block, SOA, and lockers.

Then study harder & become a good student so you can graduate, get a job, & afford to fix it!

Seriously, a good used engine ("long block") should be under $1500, but it's a ball-buster to change.

shop for a good used 2F that someone is pulling to replace with a V8. Or, one from a wrecking yard. Or, there has been at least one thread on doing the "tractor" rebuild where the rings and bearings are replaced without pulling the motor. Before you start, are you certain that the condition warrants a rebuild? Compression tests? With only 3 cylinders hitting, could it be wiring?

Make sure you have a terminal problem before replacing your motor. Do a leakdown test - this will tell you all you need to know. Maybe you just need a headgasket, or a valve adj...

If you really need a different motor (notice I didn't say "new" motor) then you have lots of options. By far the cheapest is a used 2F. It will bolt right in. Try cruiserparts.net for an example of prices. They are really fair, and back up what they sell (no affiliation). You can do better if you are willing to take the time to search.

I agree with lovetoski. Do a leak down or compression test to see what you're up against. Maybe just a HG and a freshened up head will do the job.

Seriously, a good used engine ("long block") should be under $1500, but it's a ball-buster to change.

When is the last time you did a 2F swap in a 60? Dave-T and I pulled mine in under 2 hours and it was the first time either one of us did it. I refreshed my engine with new rings, bearings and all new gaskets and a clutch assy. I reinstalled it myself on a sunday and had it running that night.

It was a full on Smog Equipped California model as well.

well first you have to have a way to remove it from the truck. You can do it with a engine hoist, a winch rigged on a pulley system, come along, I ahve even heard of people using a hilift jack though Im not sure if you could pick it up enough to remove it.

lunyou

alright, I think my dad has one stuck in his work warehouse somewhere, how much mechanical knowledge do I need to have? or is there a guide somewhere?

...or a 3FE...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom