Quietest Road Tire Above 60mph? Recommendations Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bat Masterson

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi folks,

Just installed my 285 75 16 Nitto Terra Grapplers and love them. The only problem is when I drive on the highway above 55-60mph they start to make a lot of road noise. I am coming from a Dunlop Street tire and I know this is an AT. I researched the forum extensively and can only find that folks who own them think they are overall very well behaved on the road and quiet with excellent off-road capabilities(for an AT). Consumer Reports also rated them very high.

Here's the reality: This is my daily driver, family truckster, and favorite toyota out of the 4 that I have owned. I commute on the highway 90% of the time and am on conference calls as well.

So it looks like I'm going to need to swap to a street tire :crybaby: to meet those requirements.

Other than the Michelin LTX(which is pricey) can anyone recommend a very quiet street tire that has a good reputation for balancing with no vibration? Unfortunately, my options are limited to what Discount Tire offers since i need to return my Nitto's:

Options (from affordable to extreme):

1. Yokohama Geolander HTS
2. Dunlop Radial A/T( i know it's an AT but looks like a road tire)
3. BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A
4. Michelin LTX M/S

I did have a set of the Michelin's on my 4 runner ltd and loved them--very quiet--but very pricey! :eek:

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Dave

I have used the BFG and the Michelin LTX. I think the BFG was a hair quieter (because it was a slightly softer compound) but the difference wasn't much, and the LTXs lasted forever. I sold the car with 70k miles on the Michelins and they had more tread to go.

BFG Long Trails are stock on tacoma's and xterras. They are fine tires. I think Michelin is better tho.

Looks like Kumho Road Venture is higher than the Michelin and BFG's? They are the cheapest...I wonder what the noise and wear experience is in reality.

The BFG Longtrail is not the same quality as their other tires, it is designed as a low cost OEM replacement. Doesn't Discount Tire carry Bridgestone? The Revo's would be your answer. I know you don't want to spend the money but the Michelin really is a great tire with long life and good predicable handling. Next on my list would be the Yokohamas.

They don't carry Bridgestones in that size. Calling them now to double check.

Well I called them back and they offered me a deal on the Yokohama HTS for the same price--$500 free shipping for 4. Also get a $40 mail in rebate that should offset 1/2 the shipping back to them. Tires are the same price as the Nitto's and they will give me a full refund when they receive them back.

HT=Highway so I hope these are a good alternative--would have gone the Michelin route but thought I'd try these as they are road tires and supposed to be quiet vs more aggressive tread pattern of the Nitto's. Too bad--those things look awesome.

Thanks folks--let's hope this does it...:)

Dave

I vote for Super Swamper Boggers, just a touch quieter than a Tractor tire. I thought this is a forum for off road landcruisers?
Go with the Michelins, they last forever and are quiet (thats why I had to take them off when they still had tread on them.)

Its a landcruiser not a limo.

Pretty darn good looking Limo :D

My princess insists that when she's driving, it's a limo.

X2 to the Michelin LTX M/S lasting forever.

I picked up my truck at 99k, just rolled 151k yesterday. The tires had the vent "fuzz" meaning they were fairly new when I got it. Damn things are still a ways short of the wear indicators.

(Money has been set aside for the next set of tires. I want Revos, but, as we all know, there are cheaper alternatives.)

Threads like this rock! Thanks, everyone, for your feedback and inputs! :cheers:

X2 to the Michelin LTX M/S lasting forever.
(Money has been set aside for the next set of tires. I want Revos, but, as we all know, there are cheaper alternatives.)
Buy some Revos when you have the money because those LTXs will keep on lasting and lasting, it is ridiculous. I really like the Revos if for nothing else than their unexpectedly good wet traction and resistance to 'water steer'... they have been good tires... not the best offroad, but not bad. And on road, they are about as good as an AT tire gets, so I'd say they are the best for the weekend warrior ;)

Wow, my Cooper STTs (MT tire) are louder than an AT, but still no problem talking in a normal voice, or issues with talking on the phone. Never had the wife mention it is noisy (and she would...). Maybe you need a :princess: car. :)

Wow--a car, never thought of that :) Naaa...I have too much 'Cruiser' addiction to deal with.

Dave

My Toyo AT's are pretty quiet...

Speaking of highway noise, I may be getting a bigger boat next year and am already overloading the 80. So I've been thinking of a diesel Excursion for my daily driver (keeping my 80) as they'll tow a house and still an SUV as I prefer (vs pickup). So the other day I happened to have a half hour to kill and my 6yo son in the car and saw a late model one at the dealership. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad to park (drove the salesperson crazy as I parked it 6 times), the ride quality was smoother than the 80 around town, and it didn't feel as big as it was. But on the highway things really came apart. I expected the annoying diesel clatter from around town to diminish, but I was wrong. At highway speeds the engine noise rose faster than the wind noise. At 70, between the large mirrors roaring and the engine clatter, it was obviously louder than the 80. Not that that is what I'm wanting one for, but still I was surprised.

Another vote for the Revos - got 'em on both 80s now.

DougM

Speaking of highway noise, I may be getting a bigger boat next year and am already overloading the 80. So I've been thinking of a diesel Excursion for my daily driver (keeping my 80) as they'll tow a house and still an SUV as I prefer (vs pickup). So the other day I happened to have a half hour to kill and my 6yo son in the car and saw a late model one at the dealership. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad to park (drove the salesperson crazy as I parked it 6 times), the ride quality was smoother than the 80 around town, and it didn't feel as big as it was. But on the highway things really came apart. I expected the annoying diesel clatter from around town to diminish, but I was wrong. At highway speeds the engine noise rose faster than the wind noise. At 70, between the large mirrors roaring and the engine clatter, it was obviously louder than the 80. Not that that is what I'm wanting one for, but still I was surprised.

Another vote for the Revos - got 'em on both 80s now.

DougM

Doug...did you get a good gander at the huge closet with seats behind you when driving that Excursion? I used to flip-out every time I'd turn around and see all that room behind me while driving. I had the 7.3 / pre-6.0 4x4 diesel Excursion and it was great for long trips...but you're right, the vehicle displaces alot of air and has those large protruding tow mirrors as drag parachutes. BUT it's a towing machine...

toyo m55 10ply a little hum (with the windows down) under 40, over that nice and quite and wear like nails.....they now make them in a 285/75/16.. I run them in 255/85/16..... great combo tire.. and takes weight/towing well also...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom