Quiet.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well...The ear protection is a CHECK (always wear that)
Safety glasses is a CHECK
The respirator....well...:eek:
Dont even wanna know how much of that undercoating I inhaled. That crap got EVERYWHERE!

I NEVER wanna do that part of the project again!

I am very good about the eyes and ears, not so good about the lungs. I really need a good mask. What one(s) do you recommend? My lungs are full from todays project and I didn't even grind that much. Really gotta do something about that.

Here is a quick tip to keep pretty much any plastic shield lasting longer. Good ole' fashioned Lemon Pledge furniture polish. Works wonders on plastic shields, be it goggles, motorcycle face and windshields, even soft top windows. Use a micro fiber cloth or even a worn out t-shirt (no logos). Spray it on, and polish it off. You will be surprised at how clear it will make them. It won't get rid of the deep gouges, but for the regular scratches and scuffs, it works wonders. Works as good as all of the fancy "plastic polishes" that cost three times as much. I have tried several and Pledge is it for the win.:bounce:

Jack

Might have to use that on the welding lens!!!!!

Ouch, metal in the eyes hurts. At least you know your dog wasn't sitting on your pillow though.

As Jack said Pledge works great. It even works on black leather jackets and boots if you know what I mean. I'm good on eye protection, but terrible on ears and lungs. My ears already ring like a mofo so I should preserve what I have left.

Ouch, metal in the eyes hurts. At least you know your dog wasn't sitting on your pillow though.

As Jack said Pledge works great. It even works on black leather jackets and boots if you know what I mean. I'm good on eye protection, but terrible on ears and lungs. My ears already ring like a mofo so I should preserve what I have left.

I know what you mean...
Up until about a year ago, I wouldnt use ear protection....
My wife started to accuse me of going def... Started to use hearing protection. Now, with that being the case, I was a bit concerned. I went in to have my hearing tested...EXCELLENT hearing!:clap:
That was a relief!

I know what you mean...
Up until about a year ago, I wouldnt use ear protection....
My wife started to accuse me of going def... Started to use hearing protection. Now, with that being the case, I was a bit concerned. I went in to have my hearing tested...EXCELLENT hearing!:clap:
That was a relief!

I think it's a married thing. Mine ring just a bit from 25 or more years of shooting and other loud hobbies. At some point I noticed I couldn't tell what my wife or kids were saying unless I was looking right at them when they were talking and there wasn't any background noise. Had my hearing tested, no problems.

Now that I think about it I hear everyone else ok...

.... Spray it on, and polish it off. You will be surprised at how clear it will make them. It won't get rid of the deep gouges, but for the regular scratches and scuffs, it works wonders. Works as good as all of the fancy "plastic polishes" that cost three times as much. I have tried several and Pledge is it for the win.:bounce:

Jack
I never thought about that, I have a can of plastic polish I use for light scratches in the 40 soft top windows. :cheers:

Kit wax polishing compound fixed the foggy head light lenses on both the 100 and the Mercury. It works great for that it might also work on the deeper scratches, I've got a face shield that is pretty bad maybe I'll give it a try.

I have several sets of the cheapo harbor freight full coverage goggles laying around in various states of ruin. I find they steam up pretty fast, but when you are running a wire brush, they are the only thing I've ever seen that is 99% effective at protecting the eyes. A full face shield helps to protect the rest of my face and part of my neck, but the small stuff still manages to get around and into my eyes if I don't have the goggles on. I also use them when I'm pressure washing things since I always seem to find the exact angle that shoots 1200 psi water back into my face...

As for dust masks I also use the harbor freight filter mask. Not 1/2 as comfy as the 3m stuff, but easier for me to find since HF is 8 min from my house.

I have several sets of the cheapo harbor freight full coverage goggles laying around in various states of ruin. I find they steam up pretty fast, but when you are running a wire brush, they are the only thing I've ever seen that is 99% effective at protecting the eyes. A full face shield helps to protect the rest of my face and part of my neck, but the small stuff still manages to get around and into my eyes if I don't have the goggles on. I also use them when I'm pressure washing things since I always seem to find the exact angle that shoots 1200 psi water back into my face...

As for dust masks I also use the harbor freight filter mask. Not 1/2 as comfy as the 3m stuff, but easier for me to find since HF is 8 min from my house.

The small stuff that sneaks around the glasses is what had got me this time!
Im gonna try Jacks technique and pick up some motorcycle goggles. That sounds like itd be a good set up!

BTW, I need a new head band for my welding helmet!!!!!!:bang:
It gave up the ghost the other night!
Might even spring for one of the FANCY helmets...

Well see.

Seems that I use it enough!:cheers:

The small stuff that sneaks around the glasses is what had got me this time!
Im gonna try Jacks technique and pick up some motorcycle goggles. That sounds like itd be a good set up!

BTW, I need a new head band for my welding helmet!!!!!!:bang:
It gave up the ghost the other night!
Might even spring for one of the FANCY helmets...

Well see.

Seems that I use it enough!:cheers:

I find that the motorcycle/ski type goggles are less prone to "fogging up." Not immune, but better than most. Plus they give you full coverage.

I think you could justify a decent welding helmet, you still have a long welding road ahead of you. :hillbilly:

Jack

Best $49 I ever spent on welding equipment was a new HF auto darkening helmet on sale. Not as nice as the $200 units, but I don't cry when it falls off the top of my rig onto the concrete either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom