quick wire work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I am wanting to go out wheeling this saturday and I need to do some wire harness work. How hard and long does it take out the wire harness and do repairs? Is it possible to get it done before saturday or am I just being to optimistic. Thanks.

What type of harness work are you wanting to do? Time will depend a lot on that? Splicing some connections and adding some lights or switches can go very fast, removal of the wiring harness and replacing problem lines and troubleshooting would be something that I would plan a weekend for and possibly a long weekend. I have learned that temp repair for me means forever so I try to get it good the first time.

Eternal

Well the Po did one hell of a job fixing the wiring in my cruiser. I guess at one point some wires melted together so the PO added more wire to bypass the old ones and left the old ones in up in the dash. Also while cleaning the wiper motors this weekend I don't know what happened but now everytime I turn on the wipers something under the dash starts smoking. Any ideas on what could be the problem? It seems like every time I try and fix something on my cruiser something else brakes.

Electrical+Smoke=Short. I did for a couple years the temp fixes til I finally had and electrical fire (small) and then I did it right. Electrical is very important and I wouldn't cheap out or time out on it. If you are handy with the wires cutters and have buddy help(very important for feeding though and wire pulling I didn't use one and it took probably 3 times as long and I was way more pissed off after) you can get it rewired in a good days effort. Now if you think you might need the wipers for the saturday excursion I would suggest that you could run a line from your fuse panel directly to the wiper switch and then run a couple jumpers from the switch to the motor with some crimp connectors. Nwe lines means no smoke or fire and it will be hanging out in front of your face so you will not forget to fix it properly. Have fun on Saturday I will think of you as I continue to put siding on my house ...uhhh...

Eternal

Thanks for the help. I will try and see what I can rig up. I don't think I will be needing my wipers for saturday but I didn't not want to fix it and then have other problems arise from it. Have fun working on the house.

I did mine in about seven hours. I disconnected and labeled everything and carefully wiggled the whole thing out. I was surprised at how easy it came out. I used a piece of plywood and some nails to do a "mock-up" of the component locations and attached the wiring harness to keep the general shape correct. Once I was satisfied that everything would stay put I removed and replaced all damaged wires. Not only were some burnt, but I also found some lame repairs from PO. While I had the harness unwrapped I Chevified it to go with my chev components and added for accessories. Next was to retape and reinstall. I about had a heart attack when everything worked for the first time since I got it. Woohoo!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom