Quick ?? Will 95-97 intake tube fit 94 fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see the intake tube listed on part websites and eBay as fitting 1991-1997 and then fitting 95-97.. which is why I'm confused.

IMG_4772.JPG
It will fit if you cut an inch off the AFM side. There is a rubber lip that you use as a guide. It will definitely not fit a 91,92.

See pic above on the shortened version on a 94.

Last edited:
It will fit if you cut an inch off the AFM side. There is a rubber lip that you use as a guide. It will definitely not fit a 91,92.

Thank you. The 91-92 thing was what was confusing me (3fe vs 1fz). So it sounds like I'll order the 95-97 and cut an inch off. I couldn't find the correct 93-94 replacement.

Test fit before you cut. I bought an eBay one listed for the 95+ to install on my 94 and it fit fine. Sure glad I didn't just cut it first.

For the 1FZ-FE engine there are only two air intake options:

17881-66060 and 17881-66080.

The first part number is from 8/1992-1/1995.

The second part number is from 1/1995-1/1998.

Pics attached. There are slight difference in terms of their exterior construction. Both are manufactured by Toyoda Gosei. The angles of the turns are indeed different mainly because of the difference between the size of the earlier AFM and the later MAF.

IMO, they would be ok to use in a cross-reference style considering the earlier one is significantly more expensive than the later tube.

That said, the exterior construction does have me wondering why they were developed and constructed in the way they way they were: smooth vs the geometric iteration of the later one. My assumption is because of some sort of air flow necessities between the AFM/MAF and the throttle body.

Someone like @scottryana might have some more insight into the necessary turbulence of different air metering systems.

fullsizeoutput_3488.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3485.jpeg
IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4307.JPG

Haha @beno I think you are giving me a little too much credit. If I had to guess and this would just be a wild guess is that the later tube has the external reinforcements to keep it from collapsing with really high under hood temps and clogged air cleaner.

Haha @beno I think you are giving me a little too much credit. If I had to guess and this would just be a wild guess is that the later tube has the external reinforcements to keep it from collapsing with really high under hood temps and clogged air cleaner.
That sounds legit to me! Seriously, though, that is pretty logical. Credit given.

Off subject. I am looking to out a 1FZFE into my 92 FJ 80 and am having trouble finding a thread if someone has already done this.. @beno I was hoping you'd have more info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom