Quick thoughts on hood (bug) deflector for new LC. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Quick question please. Do these work well?
They are inexpensive but wanted to see what everyone else thought of them. More for looks or do they work well?
Thanks!

Eric

Had one on my 100 for a while, but it was more annoying g than helpful, IMO and I took it off. Water/condensation endlessly blows off/splatters at the windshield at speed every morning. More annoying than bugs. -But then I don’t live in a super-buggy area...

They still get bug splattered on them and need cleaning. Depending on the mounting system they can mar the hood paint. Had one on my 100 for too long. Would not put one on my 200. A good wax works best and believe me, I drive where there are bugs.

I Installed it on my old 100 series and removed it a week later as it was a rock / road debris slinger directly into the windshield (Made by Weathertech) - no thank you!

Last edited:
Ive had the OEM Toyota bug deflector one every LC and 4Runner i have owned and they always made a big difference for me. Bugs particularly. Too bad they dont seem to make them for the LC anymore. You can get every doggon accessory under the sun except the one i want.

Clear bras have pretty much made these devices obsolete. Quality ones are bespoke for each vehicle and given LC200s production #s here in the US, a manufacturer would have a hard time making a buck tooling up to produce a unit an LC owner would be interested in.

Deflectors do provide a small measure of additional protection over a clear bra from that rock that strikes the deflector but then misses the unprotected paint further up the hood, but that’s an infrequent occurrence in my experience. Clear bras do 95% of the work of the bug deflector (you still have to clean the bugs off of both) and the clear bra preserves the cars good looks and lines. Bug deflectors generally look well worn after one or two winters of road grit and salt. I have never seen one on any vehicle that was a visual enhancement (IMO).

Not much of a bra fan, nor of clear protective tape. They dont change the airflow over the hood to prevent bugs from hitting the lower windshield. Never really cared whether plastic bug deflectors look good or not as i don't really consider that. But they do certainly work in my experience.

I installed an OEM deflector right away to protect the front hood area from rock damage, nothing more. The OEM deflector for the 200 doesn't touch the paint any were except at its mounting points under the hood.

If you want to deflect bugs, get one of those flat plexiglass bug bouncers from the '80's. Those things even altered the impending doom of grass hoppers if you went fast enough. (1979 HiLux)

That clear contact paper stuff looks great and works well for small object impacts smaller and lighter than a BB. Rocks the size of a dime or larger that take out your windshield are what the molded plexiglass is for. It is no longer slick and shiny but I don't have dents and paint chips. It really depends on your road conditions that you find yourself on most often and speed of the oncoming vehicle.

I never did get the idea of a bra on a car. What where they trying to retain?;)

I had one on my 200 when I bought it used. I took it to the Toyota dealership for an oil change and they ran it through the car wash and broke the mount on the passenger side. It was flapping on the way home.

I got mine on eBay.

I got it because I like the way it looks. It doesnt really help with the bugs, but it did save my hood when a large piece of plywood going 60+mph hit my car.

I've got an OEM I bought back in 2018 for my 2015. Do they not make one for the newer hoods? I'm not really concerned about bugs, just the rocks that seem to pellet the front end endlessly. It made it out alive through the deer hit and I think it looks good. I don't like the clear bras because you still have a noticable line (to me) on the hood.

I have been considering taking mine off, as it looks strange with the bull bar. It's for a 2008 - is there a different model number for the 2016+ LCs? It's in pretty reasonable shape, but may be difficult to ship.

I want one. For chips and bugs. Where can I source it?

FEBDAD07-7E42-4653-B51C-0596FA6A7349.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom