Quick steering assembly query - pics... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
I am trying to put together the steering linkage on a 1970 fj40 - http://ca.geocities.com/iamturner@rogers.com to see pictures

I know the steering box attatches to the bit circled in red located on the frame in the first picture.

My trouble is, i don't know where the bit goes that is circled in green.

I know this is what turns the wheels, but i cannot find where it attatches. I am sorry my language is so limited, and I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I love working on the cruiser...

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
cheers.

The "bit in green" attaches to your drag link.

Since you haven't got a FSM (you should, really), try looking at the catalog diagrams at www.sor.com to get a clue about how things *might* go together.

Being uncertain :confused: about where things go when you are working on steering :eek: ...well, let's just say I'd decline a ride, if you were to offer...:whoops:

Got any brake work planned? :cheers:

Kirk

Last edited:
Well,
I know this is not the optimal situation...But one does what he can. I am going to get this vehicle saftied before its driven anywhere. My friend is a certified mechanic, but I’ve bothered him all I can for now with everything that has been done so far - he needs a break to work on other stuff...
I've done lots of break work, but was not paying attention when he took the steering linkage apart. I have a Haynes manual, but it was useless for this procedure.
Thanks for the SOR suggestion, totally forgot! Duh.
Don't worry; she'll be a safe buggy to ride in.

Sorry if this is late in the game, but for once I know the answer to something.

I just rebuilt this part over the weekend, it's called the drag link end and connects the pitman arm to the drag link. It's a pretty important part as failure will result in complete lack of steering. See page 094 of the SOR catalog for the innards (technical term).

If it's still off the truck then take it all apart and check the individual parts. Rebuild kits are available from most cruiser shops if needed. Once it's back together tighten the threaded cap all the way, back off quarter turn, and make sure it's greased through the zert on top.

BTW, the Haynes manual is not good for diagrams but it does have the required length of all of the steering compenents in standard instead of metric.

Since you have it torn down and it's a pre-72 I would upgrade to the post 72 steering with the rag joint in the column. That way if you hit something head-on your steering column won't impale you :whoops:

HTH.

James

Looks like it's been apart quite a long time. Those threads will need to be really clean to screw it back into the drag link rod. After you clean the threads use some grease or copper anti sieze on them. The drag link rod that it screws into should have a clamp, bolt & nut on the end, you tighten that up after the link & rod are screwed together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom