quick question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey, a mate of mine told me that the front bit, where the headlight's are, folds down on the 40's. Apparently it's on a hinge. Is this true? I can't see how it could on my 78 bj40. I hope it does though , could be handy :)

thanks

Ryan

loosen the 4 bolts that attach the bib to the side skirts/panels, and it will rotate down on the frame hinge....get it at a ~45 angle and it will pull free too, the bottom hinge is slotted.

works great unless you have a winch.... ;)

well, just a quick update for those who are interested, mine doesnt have a hinge, i took it off today. There's hole's there however, maybe there used to be one. Or maybe they didnt have them that year. who knows.

maybe the PO took it off for better aerodynamics or was going for the hole "light-weight" thing....

check around on websites and look for a shot of a 78 (maybe ccot?)

I think the later hinges were stamped and not cast like the earlier ones. The bolts would have to be removed to take it off. I think that's why I've kept a couple of the earlier ones around. I think the 79 that I gave my daughter and her husband was stamped. The one on the 79 could have been a after market one but I doubt it. Anyone else have a stamped one that didn't come apart?

John

Here is my '76 set-up before I straightened out the bib (yes - it is crooked in this pic):

Last edited:
nother one from the side if this helps:

Last edited:
and remember if it's like mine and it's rusted together it won't rotate! :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom