quick question -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can it tow a horse-trailer??

asking for a prospective friend with a Ranger --

-- if not, any suggestions??

THANKS!!

e

she needs capacity for 8,000 pounds -- 2 horses and trailer -- ummmmm... !!

80 series towing capacity with external transmission cooler and proper platform is 5000 lbs trailer, 500 lbs tongue. This is a "dead weight" capicity. Toyota does not recommend or endorse a weight distributing hitch for the 80 series (US anyway)

D-

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=6441;start=msg52073#msg52073 date=1066418989]

THANKS, Dan -- no 80 for her!! :D
[/quote]

yeah but toss a supercharger and upgraded suspension it should work.......but it doesn't change the "rating"

how about a 100 series with a SC? that would do it :)

John

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=6441;start=msg52076#msg52076 date=1066419506]
yeah but toss a supercharger and upgraded suspension it should work.......but it doesn't change the "rating"

how about a 100 series with a SC? that would do it :)

John
[/quote]

wow -- lots of cash -- but she'd be styling, wouldn't she...

:)

eric

Dan,

Just our of curiosity, do you know WHY Toyota doesn't recommend using a weight distribution hitch??? I know that's what it says in the manual, but I use one anyway on a 3500 lb trailer. Our beasts sag something terrific. Looked into Rancho 9000 or airbags, but went with the distribution hitch as multiple people tow our troop's trailer.

Ok, Ok I know I should have just called Christo and gone OME! :whoops:

Why 8000lbs? We've towed our horse trailer with both of our 80s. It is a smaller 16' steel stock trailer, probably weights in the 2250-2500 lb range. Two horses 12-1300 lbs. is another 2500 lbs so 5k total. If you went with an aluminum horse trailer you would be much lighter. She isn't talking about hauling Draft horses is she? A weight distribution hitch makes it much better and trailer brakes are a must.

We routinely tow a 6000lb boat trailer using AirLift air springs in the rear coils with no issues. Informationally, the 4.5L 80 is rated at 3500kg in Europe with no mechanical differences (7700lbs). I used to work for Toyota's US HQ and was told on numerous occasions that this intentional underrating was to protect Toyota from liability in the notoriously litigious US market.

IdahoDoug

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=6441;start=msg52152#msg52152 date=1066433372]
Why 8000lbs? We've towed our horse trailer with both of our 80s. It is a smaller 16' steel stock trailer, probably weights in the 2250-2500 lb range. Two horses 12-1300 lbs. is another 2500 lbs so 5k total. If you went with an aluminum horse trailer you would be much lighter. She isn't talking about hauling Draft horses is she? A weight distribution hitch makes it much better and trailer brakes are a must.
[/quote]

here's what she answered, Eric -- my kind of woman -- not all foo-foo!!

eric

yahoo, maybe there's hope!! i thought the info you forwarded earlier warned against using weight distribution hitches on the 80s...hmm...but heck, if it's possible, i'm psyched!! I'm not talking about hauling draft horses, per se, but they are dutch warmbloods, who are descendants of cart horses who may as well have been draft horses, size wise... ;) my horses weigh closer to 1800lbs each...so let's see...3600 lbs in horses + 2500 lbs in trailer = 6100, plus I'd want to leave weight space for hay, tack, supplies etc...anyway! That's how I got to 8000... More info than you probably needed about the wild world of horses!! I will check out the link. Thanks Eric!!

Eric,

You WILL need a set of rear air springs for this app, as well as some very exacting over maintenance and specific tires. If it's demanding towing (hills/mountains, hot climate, long distances) and both horses plus tack (ie 8000lbs) every time, then I'd recommend another vehicle. If you tow a lot, then it's just a matter of time before you'll find yourself doing an emergency evasive maneuver that a very long wheelbase tow rig might pull off without losing control of the trailer. The 80 is a stout vehicle, but only you two can decide if the conditions and frequency dictate a better choice.

IdahoDoug

Tell her to get an 80 and a tow vehicle...no point in killing a perfectly good 80 =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom