Quick Question: Head Bolts: Reinstall Dry, Oil, or AntiSeize (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When reinstalling my headbolts, should I use a light film of oil, antiseize or just torque them down dry?
TIA!

dry

any fluids or antisieze compounds will effect accurate torque readings and should be avoided.

I think the FSM says to use a light coat of oil. I used blue thread locker.

I would think that Antisieze would help you get a more accurate torque measurment.

Interesting.

nuts...I'm getting outvoted....lol...

anyone have the FSM in front of them to tell me I'm wrong? lol

Woody's right, all torque values are for dry bolts, lubricaint will change your actual torque value, up to 10% in some cases. The FSM for the F does not say anything about lube.

just my 2 cents, but wouldn't antisieze help you take the bolts out the next time?

FSM says oil the threads.

What I have done on all engines that I have ever worked on.

:beer:

-Steve

Light oil them. You don't want any dry resistance creating a false torque reading, especially on head bolts.

I have torqued 100% of every single of the only 15 (or was it 13) headbolts on the only engine I have ever rebuilt or taken apart (my 2F) w/Antiseize..............I hope I don't have any issues.

I trust that puts this debate to rest.

John
Engine rebuilder(1) extraordinaire(sp?)

I was always taught that "antisieze DOESN'T BELONG anywhere on an engine" by my shop foreman. I got in s*** for antisiezing engine bolts as an apprentice and just got into a habit of never using the stuff inside an engine. I was taught to thread-chase the threaded holes and wire wheel the bolts if needed and install dry.

Although I do make exceptions (sometimes) and antisieze steel bolt goes into aluminum threaded holes.

I've always heard to use a light coat of oil.

ARP actually says to use their special thread lube for any of their bolts to get a proper torque reading.

I've been doing engines for 40 yrs, and have never put any lube on a head bolt. Some holes will penetrate the water jacket, so, tap the block to clean up threads. and follow the torque sequence. If you know the engines has had the head off 3 or 4 times, replace the bolts with new.

When reinstalling my headbolts, should I use a light film of oil, antiseize or just torque them down dry?
TIA!
There is one time you should always use anti-seize when torquing cylinder head bolts: when it's a diesel engine. As a rule, you need to chase both the male and female threads and use anti-seize on diesel engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom