Quick question: AHC...I can see the advantage of raising the vehicle, but what advantage is there in lowering it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was on a logging road this weekend that had a fairly deep crevasse (to me, I'm a beginner) and so I raised the vehicle with the AHC. It probably wasn't necessary, but I got to use a feature! So, my question is, what advantage is there to the LO setting?

Maybe a little better gas mileage due to less wind resistance. Better handling due to a lower center of gravity. Easier access for short people.

It makes it easier to climb in and out, especially for kids, short people. It also makes it easier to load stuff into the tailgate (or kids into the back seats). @taccruiser97 is correct also, but you can’t control the car going into LO above like 7 mph, although it *automatically* lowers a bit (not full LO) above 50mph for the reasons he listed (CoG, gas mileage).

I use it all the time. I had slipped discs and it helped tremendously, and my wife has been pregnant and demands I always lower it for her. Makes it way easier to load the kids. And I load heavy gear in the tail every day and it makes a big difference. Range Rovers do it too, and I believe the new Lexus LS sedan *raises* when you park it to aid entry/egress. It’s an automatic function on the newer vehicles whenever they park.

I love my AHC! I think it’s one of her coolest features of the truck — the ability to be at the most functional height at all times: LO for ease of loading/unloading, a normal height for driving around town looking boss, and slightly lower on the highway for increased stability/reduced rollover risk. It will even go into an Extra HI mode if it detects you’ve beached the truck! Also, it impresses all my friends/chicks :cool:. People are always shocked a 2001 has this feature—and even more surprised it still works!

Last edited:
Maybe a little better gas mileage due to less wind resistance. Better handling due to a lower center of gravity. Easier access for short people.
The system won’t let you drive in the low setting. It automatically goes back to neutral after a certain speed (something like 15+ MPH but don’t remember exactly). The low setting is mainly just for ease of loading cargo and entry. At least that’s how I view it.

It makes it easier to climb in and out, especially for kids, short people. It also makes it easier to load stuff into the tailgate (or kids into the back seats). @taccruiser97 is correct also, but you can’t control the car going into LO above like 7 mph, although it *automatically* lowers a bit (not full LO) above 50mph for the reasons he listed (CoG, gas mileage).

I use it all the time. I had slipped discs and it helped tremendously, and my wife has been pregnant and demands I always lower it for her. Makes it way easier to load the kids. And I load heavy gear in the tail every day and it makes a big difference. Range Rovers do it too, and I believe the new Lexus LS sedan *raises* when you park it to aid entry/egress. It’s an automatic function on the newer vehicles whenever they park.

I love my AHC! I think it’s one of her coolest features of the truck — the ability to be at the most functional height at all times: LO for ease of loading/unloading, a normal height for driving around town looking boss, and slightly lower on the highway for increased stability/reduced rollover risk. It will even go into an Extra HI mode if it detects you’ve beached the truck! Also, it impresses all my friends/chicks :cool:. People are always shocked a 2001 has this feature—and even more surprised it still works!

Thanks. I hadn't thought about ease of entry/exit. I was focused on off-road uses.

Airport shuttle bus does that too.

LOW for lower fridge height ;)

I actually use both high and low modes when offroading. High for high ground clearance and occasionally low for when low center of gravity is needed e.g. off camber--at least to make myself feel safer.
Nice feature indeed!

If you couldn't lower it....what would you do after you raised it?
something like load your truck around 600 lbs and the system does that for you IIRC

The LOW setting was the only way my LX could enter my home garage. And it did that just barely (THANKS modern builders who make home garages for compact cars). In NORMAL, it would scrape the garage door pretty dang good.

I no longer have the AHC and am in a permanent 2.25" lift on 33" tires. My rig is an "outdoor" only cruiser now. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom