quick price check regarding new stock rr bumper repair/replacement for a LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sJs

Threads
Hey folks,

Just my luck as the week i put my truck up for sale locally, my mom backs into the corner of my rear bumper :)

Luckily, the body wasnt hit, just basically that the passenger-side corner of the bumper popped in... in all honesty, i could probably mallet it out myself, but the paint on the bumper seems to have somewhat shattered in the area...

Just trying to save my folks as much $$$ as possible, by figuring out whether its even worth taking it to an insurance claim...

my local lexus dealer is saying $1k to replace... thoughts? how about the repair route? or, for that matter, any for sale on the board???

Santi

I have one (sand dollar pearl) for my '03 sitting in my garage, but I think they're too flimsy to ship. Think of them it as a 6' long wet noodle. Big, but absolutely no rigidity. Plus I'd only sell all the stuff (stiffener plate, etc.) with it. At least the front bumper has rigidity to it. Painting will run about $350 at a reputable shop. IMHO, the shipping would cost too much unless you can find one locally. Otherwise, in the end, it would probably cost almost the same for a used one shipped cross country vs. a new one.

Which "Truck" is in need of repair?
If it is a LX/LC then you should call the body shop that does the work for the Lexus dealer and ask them where they buy their refurbished bumpers from. I have replaced mine like this twice. It costs about 150-200.00 for the part and I got Lexus to paint it for 150.00 great price, could have been 400.00, they rob me on all the other stuff, guess they felt bad, lol. there is a parts company here in St.Louis that does the whole midwest. I am sure the could ship it out to you safely. Give me a call before you do it and i will go down to my LC and walk you through it. There are some small metal clamps you really don't want to break or lose, they are a real pain in the @ss, and hard to get replaced.

If you don't own a Torque Wrench, go to the auto store and borrow one for free. They charge you, but give you a refund when you bring it back. It took me about three hours, just because i had to remove all the towing stuff and put it back. If you have two people, (highly recommended) it should take less than an hour with out the Tow stuff. Depending on the year of your vehicle and under body rust, It would be wise to pick up a bottle of loosing agents to avoid snapping a screw/bolt.
Give whoever is painting it, your truck for the day so the can match the paint, this is a sick science that can go very wrong, buy the guy a cup of coffee what ever and tell him he is amazing, hopefully it will turn out. First time I did it, great!, second time, not so great, He had to repaint it three times. Was just having a rough week and ...

United Auto parts- 314-533-8612.

The difference between the refurbished bumper and new is about $100.00 and the grippy part of the black step will be smooth. Take some sand paper to it after it has been painted and you won't ever notice a difference.

If you are selling a used LC 1999? does it have the trailer hitch? Does your new truck have a trailer hitch, if so I would like to buy the old one you don't need. If the new owner isn't expecting it anyway?

Which "Truck" is in need of repair?
If it is a LX/LC then you should call the body shop that does the work for the Lexus dealer and ask them where they buy their refurbished bumpers from. I have replaced mine like this twice. It costs about 150-200.00 for the part and I got Lexus to paint it for 150.00 great price, could have been 400.00, they rob me on all the other stuff, guess they felt bad, lol. there is a parts company here in St.Louis that does the whole midwest. I am sure the could ship it out to you safely. Give me a call before you do it and i will go down to my LC and walk you through it. There are some small metal clamps you really don't want to break or lose, they are a real pain in the @ss, and hard to get replaced.

If you don't own a Torque Wrench, go to the auto store and borrow one for free. They charge you, but give you a refund when you bring it back. It took me about three hours, just because i had to remove all the towing stuff and put it back. If you have two people, (highly recommended) it should take less than an hour with out the Tow stuff. Depending on the year of your vehicle and under body rust, It would be wise to pick up a bottle of loosing agents to avoid snapping a screw/bolt.
Give whoever is painting it, your truck for the day so the can match the paint, this is a sick science that can go very wrong, buy the guy a cup of coffee what ever and tell him he is amazing, hopefully it will turn out. First time I did it, great!, second time, not so great, He had to repaint it three times. Was just having a rough week and ...

United Auto parts- 314-533-8612.

The difference between the refurbished bumper and new is about $100.00 and the grippy part of the black step will be smooth. Take some sand paper to it after it has been painted and you won't ever notice a difference.

If you are selling a used LC 1999? does it have the trailer hitch? Does your new truck have a trailer hitch, if so I would like to buy the old one you don't need. If the new owner isn't expecting it anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom