Quick pic of new rear panels and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8/buggyboy_2006/testpics005.jpg

This is a pic of the new interior panels I made for the rear. A little blurry, I just got a new cam and am still learning to focus it, my old one was a little easier. I used 1/8" fiberboard and used Duplicolor roll on truck bed liner on both sides, and secured it with stainless sheet metal screws. I also made new ones on the front which I will post pics of later with the same material, bedlined, and made 1 inch spacers out of particle board for 6 1/2" speakers.

Now for the unrelated questions. My gas guage doesnt work, yesterday I pulled the inspection cover above the tank and pulled on the wires, well needless to say the two wires went nowhere (I had that suspicion when I saw two wires dangling from the gas tank underneath lol). Where in the rear part of the harness do the two wires from the fuel sender connect?

And cooling issues, I've had a lot of hose trouble, and the radiator is about to crap as well. I got a brand new Performance radiator lastnight off a guy who put it in his truck, and the motor siezed a week later. It came with a brand new water pump which had only been on the same truck a week. I have fixed a lot of stuff on my cooling system, every time I do a weaker link blows out so I am worried that with a new water pump, radiator, and all new hoses would this put my headgasket at more risk of having a blowout? I've gotten the truck pretty warm but only once to the point of steaming and I'm dead sure that was just because of the leaking coolant onto the engine itself. I need to squeeze a few more months out of this engine before I can get it replaced. Thanks a bunch.

I can help you with the direction of the fuel sender wires. On mine they are on the drivers side behind the rear wheel. I found mine broken there and re attached and that fixed the gauge problem.

Hope this helps.

Chris
87 FJ60
85 FJ60
75 VJ40

That helps a lot actually. Do they go into that loom that runs into the interior of the quarter panel? Or are they separate. I couldnt see any evidence of anything running along the frame rail so I'm guessing that they run into the quarter panel.

And cooling issues, I've had a lot of hose trouble, and the radiator is about to crap as well. I got a brand new Performance radiator lastnight off a guy who put it in his truck, and the motor siezed a week later. It came with a brand new water pump which had only been on the same truck a week. I have fixed a lot of stuff on my cooling system, every time I do a weaker link blows out so I am worried that with a new water pump, radiator, and all new hoses would this put my headgasket at more risk of having a blowout? I've gotten the truck pretty warm but only once to the point of steaming and I'm dead sure that was just because of the leaking coolant onto the engine itself. I need to squeeze a few more months out of this engine before I can get it replaced. Thanks a bunch.

The stock cooling system on a 60 is totally adaquate for any weather. The key is to get your system to function like stock.

Do you overheat on the freeway, or in town? If on the freeway, you most likely have a radiator problem. If in town, it's most likely a fan clutch problem.

In either case, it's good to have new hoses, a flushed out system, fresh coolent, and a burped system.

Post back with more details as to your cooling problem, so we can provide more specific advice.

If you're concerned the new rad has crap in it have a shop "boil" it out (& check it).

Don't be afraid of the head gasket. The pressure that blows them out comes from compression, not coolant.

Cool. I got a new hardpipe for that little bypass hose that comes from under the lower rad. hose on the water pump as the po did something....cut both the brackets off it and bent it a little to get to the other oil cooler hose, my new waterpump came with one in proper shape and cool, it bolts the front of the motor where the water pump sits, who would have thought :rolleyes: . I haven't even put it on and I knew that, why would he have hacked the brackets off? Oh well enough bitching. A few new hoses again and it seems to be ok, no leaks, not overheating at all. It hasn't overheated at all thus far without having a leak, but I've had some big leaks and it got warm a few times, once when it was 15 below and that really worried me, didnt want it to cool off "too" fast and crack or warp something. I just wanted to make sure as I replaced the entire cooling system I wouldn't put more stress on the HG. Thank you for the input, and I'll keep all posted, putting the radiator on this weekend, and I may put the water pump on, and a fan clutch if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom