Quick opinion on front axle and birfs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I've torn into my front axle to address a leak on the left knuckle and am doing all seals, bearings, etc on both sides. I've pulled the axle and birfs and am looking for opinions on a couple of things.

First, below are pics of the axle shafts. The short side has a relatively pronounced wear groove to it, to the point where there is a barely visible lip - although, ironically, this side was not leaking much if any.

The long side is shown below and this side had a significant leak with diff oil all in it, broken bearings, etc.

My first question is - are the wear grooves on either side significant enough to warrant new shafts or should I just offset the oil seal and rock on? I really don't want to have to fork for new gear if not needed - but I also don't want to tear back into this biznitch if I don't have to.

My second question relates to the birfs. Prior to removing them I had zero indication of any problems - no clicking, grinding or anything. Having pulled them and separated them from the shafts, I proceeded to thoroughly de-grease and clean them. Once clean and dry, the inner portions (where the shafts insert) became fairly stiff in the socket - to the point where they are quite hard to turn without inserting a dowel or something. They moved smoothly when greased. Is that normal or should they move smoothly even when dry?

I'm hoping to wrap this mess up in the next few days and I really appreciate any feedback!

Off set the seal and run-um

"Off set the seal and run-um "

This.
I did, no issues since.

I don't recall my birfs being stiff when degreased, but it was a while ago. I swapped sides on mine and have had no issues with them either.

Not difficult to overdrive it using a socket and a careful hand. But if you want to remove any doubt:

Yep - already have one of those standing by (along with probably 20 other Wit's End things :) ). I did this job 6 months ago on another cruiser (replaced bad birfs) and getting the oil seal pressed in without destroying it was the worst part of the entire job for me. I ended up mangling 2 before I got one in right.

Anyone else with opinions on the "sticky birfs?" Considering the fact that they seemed fine before tear-down, I'm inclined to grease them up, recheck for ease of movement and just roll with them.

Thanks!

For those who may be interested, I finally got my parts in and proceeded to lube up the birfs and reinstall them. Once lubed they articulated freely - so the stickyness was apparently a symptom of being completely degreased.

I also offset my inner axel seals with the Wits End adapter and it was absolutely golden. I hope to have everything strapped back up tomorrow and back on the road. I’ll report back if anything changes but I’m hoping everything is good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom