Quick! Need a spring shop in northern MN/WI (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yooper

SILVER Star
Threads
A good friend of mine, Kevin Rowland, is on a trek out west with his new wife in an FJ60. They overloaded the truck a bit and need their rear springs re-arched. They are visiting me in Marquette, MI, in the U.P. right now. There is nobody around here to do that.

Can anyone recommend a shop, maybe near Duluth?

PM me or post.

thanks!

Not aware of a spring shop up there that can do it, but there are probably five or more here in the Twin Cites that could....(Minneapolis/St.Paul)

-Steve

Zenith Spring Co - 1-800-448-5779
Duluth Spring Co - 219-722-7938
Husky Spring (in Virginia on Hwy 53) - 1-800-826-3318

Hope this helps, unfortunately I haven't used any of these shops, so you'll have to call around. The first two are in downtown Duluth.

If they are headed below the bridge, there are a couple down here.

I just talked to Kevin. They are in Superior, WI this am and I gave him all the phone numbers.
If the Duluth places don't work out he will probably head south to MSP.

thanks everyone for the help!

The short story:
Kevin and Amy are all fixed up. Thanks to all who helped! Four days into their trek and have already relied on the Cruiser Community!
They wound up at Zenith Spring in Duluth. Based on their expertise, they said the only way to go is to add a leaf. They made them up right then and there but they do not install. Around the corner to a local shop that should have them on their way again soon.

The long story:
Zenith explained some of the theory with springs while they were waiting. Carbon steel is bent into a suitable arc, then tempered (heated and oil quenched), then annealed. They stated that it is a crap shoot (a guess) as to how much lift you get on each vehicle. Part of the threory is that one leaf in the pack does all the work. The rest are there for controlling flex. The add a leaf they provided will now be the lift. They also stated that there is no reason for springs to flatten like this if they have been properly tempered and annealed. The only variable is that the carbon content can vary which can effect the tempering process. FYI, his springs were SOR and probably about 4 years under the truck. I had the same situation with my BDS from CCOT, but mine were only under the truck for a few months. Yeah, yeah, neither of us were on any boards back then! OME on my next truck (or this one?)

Thanks again to all that helped. Kevin and Amy are at the beginning of a three month journey through North America. Their itinery is somewhat loose, but I believe they will be continuing west to the mountains and then heading to Alaska. Then back south, most likely through the PNW and onto Colorado to meet up with us in August. Anyone that wants to try and connect with them along the way feel free to let me know here or by PM. I am always on the 3FE list and the 60/62 list on Mud. I will be in touch with them as they stumble across mobile telephone service. His truck is charcoal FJ60 with both 2F and 3FE stickers, Durabak lower panels, custom rear bumper with a tire swingout, ARB front and a custom roof rack. Keep your eyes open for them!

The Cruiser Community is the greatest!
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom