Quick interior overhead rack project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swankstar

SILVER Star
Threads
A little project to welcome my weekend. Met up with some other Cruiser owners this week and saw a couple cool gizmos I thought I'd try. Thanks to @Cruzilla for this one!

Yesterday, I stopped by the scrap yard and lo and behold, there was the exact style/size of stainless kitchen shelving Cruzilla had used to make his sweet shelf. I had like what I saw so I was already on the lookout for one. Turns out the scrapyard only wanted about treefiddy for it, so I was happily on my way.

Yanked the rear handles off, measured up the hole distance, drew up a quick model, and cut one out of super thin material to give it a try.

IMG_1271.jpg

Had to try it a couple time because I got the holes about 1/8 off, and then forgot to save the file correctly (I guess that's what I get for doing stuff after work on a friday...)

IMG_1270.jpg

After a couple attempts, got it right and it went right in there. As I was sliding things around and fitting them up, I started to worry a little about the potential noise level I just introduced to my rig. Once I got everything locked in place though and went for a drive around the block, I didn't notice a thing. Pretty stoked! Next up will be making a little "crescent moon" piece for the front of it so sudden stops don't send anything flying. The reality of the situation though is it will be storage for when actually camped, not for driving around.

IMG_1268.jpg

Very stoked I did this. Needed a quick project to get me going again!

IMG_1265.jpg

A little project to welcome my weekend. Met up with some other Cruiser owners this week and saw a couple cool gizmos I thought I'd try. Thanks to @Cruzilla for this one!

Yesterday, I stopped by the scrap yard and lo and behold, there was the exact style/size of stainless kitchen shelving Cruzilla had used to make his sweet shelf. I had like what I saw so I was already on the lookout for one. Turns out the scrapyard only wanted about treefiddy for it, so I was happily on my way.

Yanked the rear handles off, measured up the hole distance, drew up a quick model, and cut one out of super thin material to give it a try.

View attachment 1542575

Had to try it a couple time because I got the holes about 1/8 off, and then forgot to save the file correctly (I guess that's what I get for doing stuff after work on a friday...)

View attachment 1542579

After a couple attempts, got it right and it went right in there. As I was sliding things around and fitting them up, I started to worry a little about the potential noise level I just introduced to my rig. Once I got everything locked in place though and went for a drive around the block, I didn't notice a thing. Pretty stoked! Next up will be making a little "crescent moon" piece for the front of it so sudden stops don't send anything flying. The reality of the situation though is it will be storage for when actually camped, not for driving around.

View attachment 1542582

Very stoked I did this. Needed a quick project to get me going again!

View attachment 1542586

Looks really good! Comes in handy for "soft stuff"! Straps, rain jackets, sweatshirts.... whatever! Again..... nice work!

Looks really good! Comes in handy for "soft stuff"! Straps, rain jackets, sweatshirts.... whatever! Again..... nice work!
Thanks!

@noahfecks Hadn't thought about it to be honest. I need to check in with mods before talking about that kind of thing I think??

Looks good

How much are you going to sell the brackets for?

Yea...the requests should start rolling in momentarily!! Lol..... put me down for a set!!

Haha, right on

I also have been thinking about a forward facing divider to stop things from leaping off the shelf during evasive maneuvers!

I also have been thinking about a forward facing divider to stop things from leaping off the shelf during evasive maneuvers!
Have you experienced that actually happening? Or more of a "just in case" thing?

Have you experienced that actually happening? Or more of a "just in case" thing?

Looks good. Super simple, ready access from both sides.

Yep, you will lose stuff off the shelf IMO.
I made a soft mesh hammock for storing soft stuff in the same spot. I lost stuff out of it often when coming down steeper, rocky trails, and also when braking hard on road. Having a front vertical face of some sort will help

@noahfecks @Marine7 here you go. Talked with the mods, I need to get a thread started over in the "small business" section I guess, but here's some photos.

Had a stack laser cut, enough for 10 sets. I'll sell them either powder coated or raw, but I'm not going to spend the money on powder coat up front, so if anybody wants those I'll wait until they are all sold and do a batch.
IMG_1332.jpg

Had one piece test coated before bending (the final product would be coated after bending). Bent one of each up:
IMG_1335.jpg

Find more overhead storage threads here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom