Quick head gasket question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing hg replacement on an ‘85 2F and ‘74 155 f and noticed the hgs were in opposite when I pulled them both out. In the 2F, the copper connected between the cylinders on the gasket going up and on the 1.55 it was down. Which is correct? I have no history on these, so both could have been replaced already and put in right or wrong. The first pic is both going up on the block and the second turned over. 2F on left.

Thanks,
Mike

93C39255-68BD-4216-BC0D-607931BB39B8.jpeg

59BE5EA1-8E20-4041-8DF9-378DAFFD01F3.jpeg

The tab on the one end that protrudes out of the mated parts goes to the rear. When installed, you can check for correctness by viewing or feeling the tab sticking out at the rear of the engine.

Also, The oil keyholes will sit over the oil hole in the block as well as the head bolt hole between cylinders 4 & 5. This is where the oil passes from oil hole in block to the space around the head bolt and makes its way up to the rocker assembly.

93C39255-68BD-4216-BC0D-607931BB39B8.jpeg

Okay. That’s very helpful bc that uniquely sets the gasket. That also means that the 2F hg sits upside down relative to the 1.55 f assuming that both that I took out are either oem or made like oem.

There are several if not many aftermarket head gaskets. And some don’t have as many holes as others. If you have a good look at your head and block, you’ll find several holes that don’t match up. I believe these were for machining purposes and not for anything to flow through. Some gaskets will have a hole for these unused holes, and some gaskets do not.

The OEM gasket for the F.5 is NLA. Be carful shopping for an aftermarket. There’s been several threads here on mud about this.

I could only find one place that had the hg for the rare 1.55 f produced around ‘74. Fingers crossed that it works. Supposed to arrive today, so we’ll see.

If you had the surfaces refinished head and block, make sure the alignment dowels are also shortened as they may cause a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom