Quick gear reduction starter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
Trying to find out where to bold the white cable up to on a 1965 gear reduction starter upgrade.
C21D2E81-E1AA-4603-A30E-CB719A776992.jpeg

Well I don’t know. But while you’re waiting on someone who does, I’ll take a guess. Since it’s a heavy gauge wire and has a large terminal on it, I’d guess it’s the main 12V supply to the vehicle that operates everything except the starter. If that’s the case, it was probably piggy backed onto the starters big lug along with the cable coming from the battery + terminal. If I’m right and the battery cables are connected, nothing electric is working with the white wire not connected. If it is the main vehicle supply, it could also go right to the batter + terminal. But like I said, I don’t know. Someone should chime in soon.

That white wire I believe goes to ammeter. It comes directly from the battery to a terminal on the starter. I cannot see all your GR terminals so reference the schematic and also the W wire list attached.

White wire.PNG

White 1.PNG

I think he’s asking where on that starter the white wire bolts to. I’m curious as well based on the pic it isn’t obvious which bolt is the connection and which are structural bolts. It should bolt to the same location the positive battery cable bolts to, but I don’t see that. Is that ground cable connected to the starter in the right spot? The ground usually connects to a bolt that connects the starter to the bellhousing. What’s at the end of that heavy blue wire?

Last edited:
on Paper or the Micro Fiche if you will , and the New Factory EPC

TOYOTA does NOT recommend the 28100-60070 on Land Cruisers older then 8/80 .....

maybe this is why ?

personally

I have NEVER seen a Solid White Larger gauge 10ga-12ga primary wire attached to any Gear reduction starter ,

the single copper LUG is for the B+ battery Cable only

Right ?

am i missing something here ....

does this White larger Guage wire come from the battery

or

from the chassis wire harness ?

this is unclear to me , and not explained or detailed above

unless i did not see it ?

I think he’s asking where on that starter the white wire bolts to. I’m curious as well based on the pic it isn’t obvious which bolt is the connection and which are structural bolts. It should bolt to the same location the positive battery cable bolts to, but I don’t see that. Is that ground cable connected to the starter in the right spot? The ground usually connects to a bolt that connects the starter to the bellhousing. What’s at the end of that heavy blue wire?
Same bolt / terminal as the battery.

It's basically just a connection back to the battery, using the cable to the starter. That's the big black cable with the red end in his picture, both wires with ring terminals on that same bolt type terminal on the starter.

I'm pretty sure you could run it straight back to the positive terminal on the battery instead. I think most of the later models did that.

Definitely NOT connected to ground. The ground cable I see in the picture is connected the same as mine is from the mounting bolt to the frame.

And the heavy blue wire is internal to the starter, probably the positive output from the relay / solenoid to the motor itself. Connected between part of the starter in the box when it arrives.

Dang @kerplunk I didn't even see that wire with the red end, :D. Yeah, that's the connection point, good eye. OP, what @kerplunk said.

Matt @ToyotaMatt early wire harnesses (like his '65) have just the plain white W wire for harness power, and there is no fusible link either. @1969FJ nailed it with his shown schematic. The WB and fusible links came in later.

Last edited:
Dang @kerplunk I didn't even see that wire with the red end, :D. Yeah, that's the connection point, good eye. OP, what @kerplunk said.

Matt @ToyotaMatt early wire harnesses (like his '65) have just the plain white W wire for harness power, and there is no fusible link either. @1969FJ nailed it with his shown schematic. The WB and fusible links came in later.

MUD class is in session .....🤣

I put in a fusible link in that location on my ‘63 from @Coolerman. I think it’s a great safety precaution.

Thanks guys for the help! It’s amazing what knowledge this community has. There is a terminal on the GR starter where the power cable bolts to it that I will run it to. Is there a benefit of running a fusible link here like the later models have?

This wire is hot, almost straight off the battery, and I believe (but not really sure) goes through the amp meter before getting to the fuse panel. There's quite a bit of room for something to short before it gets there.

This guy's probably got a pretty strong opinion on it (now):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom