Quick CDL switch question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tampacruiser95

Upgrades are coming.
Threads
I've searched the forums but I can't really find this answer. I also search the Slee newbie guide.

I bought a CDL switch - am I reading correctly that the wiring harness is already present behind the dash? Is it obviously marked? All I need to do is pop the switch in and plug it in? Is it as easy as it seems it should be?

I've searched the forums but I can't really find this answer. I also search the Slee newbie guide.

I bought a CDL switch - am I reading correctly that the wiring harness is already present behind the dash? Is it obviously marked? All I need to do is pop the switch in and plug it in? Is it as easy as it seems it should be?
I found a YouTube video. All questions answered...

Pretty much. There is a termination connector on the current wire harness that you pop off and just plug in the new switch.

You can see a picture of the termination connector (with the yellow wire loop) on page 2 of Slee's instructions. Described in item #4 as "To identify it, it will be a white female plug with a terminating male plug inserted into it. It might be wrapped in foam with a green/silver jumper wire on it." Mine was a yellow jumper. Here is a direct link to Slee's instructions: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/installation/difflock_install.pdf

Pretty much. There is a termination connector on the current wire harness that you pop off and just plug in the new switch.

You can see a picture of the termination connector (with the yellow wire loop) on page 2 of Slee's instructions. Described in item #4 as "To identify it, it will be a white female plug with a terminating male plug inserted into it. It might be wrapped in foam with a green/silver jumper wire on it." Mine was a yellow jumper. Here is a direct link to Slee's instructions: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/installation/difflock_install.pdf
Great, this confirms what I saw on that video. Thank you.

Yep one of the easiest things to do and makes this vehicle way more fun to drive in the sand, snow, etc. To put it in perspective, I have the factory lockers and used them ummmm...never (besides to maintain functionality), but the CDL I have used a lot. You will be glad.

Yep one of the easiest things to do and makes this vehicle way more fun to drive in the sand, snow, etc. To put it in perspective, I have the factory lockers and used them ummmm...never (besides to maintain functionality), but the CDL I have used a lot. You will be glad.
Thanks, I am going to install tomorrow.

"Pin 7 mod" increases the functionality of the CDL switch.. by letting you disengage the CDL in low range, which helps a ton with turning radius.

Tons of info on here about it.

So I installed the switch and didn't do the 7 pin. It worked for a day, pushed the button multiple times and it came on everytime.

Since the first day it hasn't engaged since. It won't engage in 4L either and if it engaging I can't hear it.

The first thing I checked was the fuse - its still good and the switch itself lights up on the dash. But again, no light in instrument cluster and I can't hear anything.

Any ideas based on that?

Remove the switch, reinstall the shorting link and see if 4L properly engages the CDL.

cheers,
george.

Remove the switch, reinstall the shorting link and see if 4L properly engages the CDL.

cheers,
george.
Shorting link? The cover over the female switch?

Shorting link? The cover over the female switch?

When you installed the switch, you removed a shorting link (with connector). Put it back. i.e. go back to what you had, test and report back.

cheers,
george.

When you installed the switch, you removed a shorting link (with connector). Put it back. i.e. go back to what you had, test and report back.

cheers,
george.
Got it, thanks

Please post pictures...

Please post pictures...
Of the CDL not engaging...the light not lighting up in the cluster guage? I don't think picture evidence of that will help anything.

Never mind...I was thinking about a picture of the shorting link, so I could see what it looks like. I found another thread that shows it.

Never mind...I was thinking about a picture of the shorting link, so I could see what it looks like. I found another thread that shows it.
Okay, sorry for the confusion

I'm gonna do this soon I think. Trying to find the hazard switch because the stupid cdl switches are expensive.

cheers,
george.
Okay so I went to do what you said and I must have thrown away the shorting link because I can't find it. So I can't properly test if it will engage in 4L.

However, once I got the dash apart to access the switch I tested it multiple times and it worked. Meaning the CDL engaged...once I put the switch back in and dash back together, it didn't work again. So I think female end of the switch on the wiring harness is bad or some kind of short? Any ideas?

Well, you can reproduce the failure, so time to move each wire on the switch connector to see if you can isolate the issue. From what you are saying you have a wire/connector/contact issue... so time for more detective work...

cheers,
george.

Well, you can reproduce the failure, so time to move each wire on the switch connector to see if you can isolate the issue. From what you are saying you have a wire/connector/contact issue... so time for more detective work...

cheers,
george.
Okay, I'll take a look tomorrow and try to isolate faulty wire or connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom