Quick bushing recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick bushing recommendation
I'm replacing a good amount of bushings under my 97 rig. After much research and staying price minded I landed on AC Delco for the front control arm bushings
pn 45g9180 (rear chassis side) and pn45g9180 (front axle side)
The prices were outstanding from rockauto. The shipping to AZ was 2 days and best of all I was pleasantly surprised to see the bushings were made in japan, as oppose to china or mexico. I'll give an update on initial impressions and a long term test.
-I went with whiteline for rear pan rod and sway bar brackets and end links.
-Super pro for the front pan rod bushings
-Moog (made by japan's 555) for tie end rods.
-Moog front sway bar end links (made in taiwan)

Next phase will be stronger rear trailer arms and replacing the stock upper bushings.

Also huge shout out to AZ powdercoater for making my 20 year old bars, and various bits look new again with an amazing turnaround time and great price.

Hopefully after I'm done the LC will handle a little less like a jumping castle :fingers crossed:

UPDATE: Added 34's a new rebuilt power steering box. Truck is still handling great.

9QcHp6P.jpg

Last edited:
Why not get OEM bushings from Beno? I replaced my front control arm bushings with rock auto ones 6 months ago and they are trashed now, OEM is going back in.

Yeah not sure where you got those recommendations, but I don't think I have heard any of those every recommended on mud. People have even tried to talk me out of my Whitelines after I had them installed, with pictures of failures. haha.

Post pictures of the bushings, both sides, before you install them.
Might come in an ACDELCO box, but still be OE. I'd be worried they were quality rejects.

Why not get OEM bushings from Beno? I replaced my front control arm bushings with rock auto ones 6 months ago and they are trashed now, OEM is going back in.

Hey thanks for your feedback!
What does rock auto ones mean? they sell several brands. All 6 failed in 6 months, thats crazy!
Does Toyota manufacture their own bushings? I thought they would contract those parts out.

I chose poly on the sway brackets, end links, and pan rod to stiffen lateral roll.

My choice on ac/delco was a cost decision as well as reading what "the professional" though I admit I don't know who Beno is.
The TS 16949 Ceretifed facilty manufactuer facilty was important.
  • High temperature synthetics and fatigue resistance support extended service life, even in harsh conditions
  • Silent-bloc metal sleeve/rubber bushing design supports proper alignment, stability, and durability
  • Manufactured at TS 16949-certified facilities to ensure consistent high-quality

Might come in an ACDELCO box, but still be OE. I'd be worried they were quality rejects.

I have no doubt these might be made in the same factory as the oem, but I would be willing to bet a large some that Toyota doesn't sell their defective parts to a subsidiary of GM (AC Delco) to sell to the public.

Anyways time will tell. if they fail I have no problem turning a wrench, calling Toyota, and eating crow lol.

yes there are toyota bushings.

Take it from me. please... It will save you money...

DO NOT BUY OE equipment. While doing that works on your honda accord it does not work for a very specialized very high quality and low tolerance land cruiser. I swear, I thought I could get away with AC Delco, rock auto ect ect parts and you know what I ended up doing? Replacing all that crap 6 months later because it failed.

Buy OEM only.

I'll be happy to share a 6 month report and like I said, have no problem eating crow if they fail.
I've owned a few Honda's in my life but never an accord haha

yes there are toyota bushings.

Take it from me. please... It will save you money...

DO NOT BUY OE equipment. While doing that works on your honda accord it does not work for a very specialized very high quality and low tolerance land cruiser. I swear, I thought I could get away with AC Delco, rock auto ect ect parts and you know what I ended up doing? Replacing all that crap 6 months later because it failed.

Buy OEM only.
He wants to learn just like you did, the hard way. Been there myself.

I have a full set of OE bushing from the dealer in my garage, I just need time and a press to install them.

There is no rule about suppliers not selling defective parts to other companies outside the original customer.
Ultimately they get tossed in a scrap pile and should be ground up/recycled, but that doesn't always happen with every supplier.

On the other side, a lot of aftermarket/replacement parts companies will simply scan a part or try to quickly reverse-engineer it to turn around and try to make money on it. There is a lot of magic in Toyota OE parts because not everything is immediately apparent from the shape alone. Sometimes it is just the quality of the material being used. Sometimes it is an undocumented massage by a Shinto priest.

Please be sure to report back on how well these hold up. more data points are always better for others to learn from.

I bought two motor mounts from rock auto, I think they were the DEA mounts. I figured that 'its just two plates sandwiching rubber, how could anyone screw that up'. 6 months later when I pulled my engine out they both fell apart, the plates had completely separated from the rubber.

The OE bushings I bought from rock auto for my front radius arms share the same story. I'll post some picts tonight.

Bonding rubber to metal isn't trivial. Formulating the rubber compound to be durable isn't trivial either. It's actually pretty easy to screw it up.

Pics, Pics, Pics, Pics

Takes 5 mins and might save you Countless Hours & Frustration.

We are really here to help (no I'm not a Politician or Lawyer)

We have tried most of the aftermarket bushings, with short life, disappointment for all. Most attempt to look like factory bushings, part number, etc, do a good job of that. My guess, they come from the same place and are branded by the box.

Don't recall the brand on this one, Raybestos maybe? Was called professional, etc, one of the higher priced, looked like this after ~3mo, but this rig gets wheeled often, so others result may very. The good part, it came from Rockauto.com so a phone call and picture netted a credit.

Dead_Bushing.jpg

Bonding rubber to metal isn't trivial. Formulating the rubber compound to be durable isn't trivial either. It's actually pretty easy to screw it up.

So you're saying I shouldn't make my own bushings?

Is anyone selling an OEM set, or do they all have to be ordered individually after digging up the part numbers?
Or did anyone do a generous write up?
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom